Dip pen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Does anyone still use one of these? I don't use them as much as I would like to.

This one is solid brass grip with resin body and cap. The cap is great if you travel with the pen and also prove some protection to the nib when you are not using it.

image.jpg1_zpsgdsdszgq.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsmn2panrn.jpg

image.jpg3_zps3ljruxec.jpg

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Steph does but I can't use the things my handwriting is atrocious with a ballpoint I'd end up covered! Nice looking thing though

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I used to use a similar one for everyday writing. Not reloaded by dipping but be replacing the ink cartridge.

As to a true "dip" type, the only time I've ever used one was to ink my drawings way, way back in Engineering Drawing class in Junior College.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice looking pen. I like a nibbed pen and enjoy using mine. Find my handwritting is better with it and I enjoy the aesthetic experience of it. Something almost ritualistic about it.
Have dabbled with making my own inks too and that adds to it all. Had some nice goose feathers a while ago too and mqde some nice quills which were great. With the right paper to write on combined it made some great looking documents.
I suppose I'm odd in that I still like staying in touch via "snail mail". Friends say it's nice getting letters and I know myself that it's nice to get something through the door that isn't junk or a bill.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Last edited:

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Ya if you get a nicely handwritten snail mail, it's a real treat.

I don't use dip pen for much anymore, maybe an occasional scribble. It's difficult to buy the nib also.

4freek

Jul 15, 2015
Canada
I use pencils, sharpen with a knife. They never run out of ink
Preferred are the Palomino Blackwing pearls and a Field Notes 3-1/2 x 5 notebook

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
This guy is my inspiration at the moment. Jake Weidmann

[video=youtube_share;KvSyQDu49pI]http://youtu.be/KvSyQDu49pI[/video]

[video=youtube_share;85bqT904VWA]http://youtu.be/85bqT904VWA[/video]

Honest Outrage

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2015
Midlands
That looks nice. I use a fountain pen as a daily writer, and i use dip pens and quills for calligraphy. I bought a beautiful quill in Italy last year (will get some pictures when i'm home later to post.

I'm not particularly good at calligraphy, but i do really enjoy it!

The only thing that annoys me, is that i use a leather bound recycled paper notepad as a bit of a journal and making general notes when i'm out and about, but ink and recycled/handmade paper do not work well together! you get horrible bleeding. So i have to resort for a 'normal' pen for writing in that.

tutorp

Dec 21, 2014
Trondheim, Norway
I actually have a little collection of old fountain pens, but no dip pens. One of my two pre-WW2 Penols functions as a dip pen, as the internal rubber reservoir has long since dried, but other than that they're all either reservoir- or cartridge-filled.

Day-to-day I carry a Kaweco Liliput, a tiny little all-metal fountain pen the length of a pocket notebook. I highly recommend it, for the comfort it writes with, though for getting out in the woods, I find a pencil is better. Ink and wet weather is not the best combination.

Post Tenebras Lux

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2015
Cambridgeshire
I tried dip pens but just couldn't get along with them. I'm left-handed so anything with a nib that sharp just isn't going to work for me.

Switched over to fountain pens and I've been in my element. I've been bitten by the bug as far as ink is concerned, though! So much variety and most of them are reasonably priced to the point where you can indulge in a few and not kick yourself afterwards.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE