Diesel question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I don't know if this is the right section for the question so mods feel free to move it to the appropriate section if I'm wrong with this one.

My question:- If I was to buy myself a set of new metal jerry cans and then go to the petrol station and fill them up with diesel. how long could you expect to be able to keep them stored for?
would the diesel "go off" after a certain amount of time? I have never stored diesel before so I have no idea

I'm thinking of stock piling some diesel now before the prices go up to silly money after the budget.

thank you in advance for any answers.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Well if the prices do go up you will be using the diesel strait away probably.
Diesel does go off if there is any water in the container, had a customer trying to return a million litres once, they kept it as a backup for a generator , it got the bug.

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Hi, ive used diesel in my landrover 90 ( 300 tdi ) that i put away 4 years ago it worked ok but it had lost a bit of its power but not much. but for the last 3 years i have been putting 2 stroke oil in my landrover it gives me about 4 miles per gallon more and mine has cat fitted passed the last 3 MOT's no problem. i use coma 2 stroke min oil at 200/1 (200 fuel to 1 oil ) i buy it by the gallon now from wilco at about £18. i pull up at the station put 125ml of oil in first then put 25L of diesel in next to mix it up. first time i tried it i only had semi 2 stroke oil mixed as above got about 2/3 miles down the road and the motor just started to speed up and it sounded so much better, 3 year's later im still useing it. best thing ive ever put in the landy. it is worth running your tank low for the first time. i only fill 25L at a time as i think it mix's in the tank better and i cant be botherd to mix it in a second tank. i have told lots of people and i have not found anyone that has had a problem. carl

I had an uncle who did this years ago. He used to fill up jerry cans with diesel and decant them into 50 gallon drums in his garage and pump it back out when needed. Saying that though he was using someone elses fuel card to fill the cans so win win for him I guess.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Hi, ive used diesel in my landrover 90 ( 300 tdi ) that i put away 4 years ago it worked ok but it had lost a bit of its power but not much. but for the last 3 years i have been putting 2 stroke oil in my landrover it gives me about 4 miles per gallon more and mine has cat fitted passed the last 3 MOT's no problem. i use coma 2 stroke min oil at 200/1 (200 fuel to 1 oil ) i buy it by the gallon now from wilco at about £18. i pull up at the station put 125ml of oil in first then put 25L of diesel in next to mix it up. first time i tried it i only had semi 2 stroke oil mixed as above got about 2/3 miles down the road and the motor just started to speed up and it sounded so much better, 3 year's later im still useing it. best thing ive ever put in the landy. it is worth running your tank low for the first time. i only fill 25L at a time as i think it mix's in the tank better and i cant be botherd to mix it in a second tank. i have told lots of people and i have not found anyone that has had a problem. carl
I'll have to try that.

right ho the basics first, new cans or old, when you first get them just make sure the seal is there in the can cap and or in good condition, new cans do have a habbit of coming with or without rubber seals, if they are missing i suggest a thick rubber sheet , say a burst tractor inertube to cut new ones out of.

next part filling them up, if you do as i do and fill the car right up and then get the tanks out , you might not realise that most petrol pumps stop working at £100 and you have reseat the handle and start again, just thought i would mention it

next up storing, i will will deal with petrol and diesel together but without any oil mixtures like two stroke, as it is much better to store the petrol oil mix seperately, together they have a stored life of a few months max, i will explain the above message later as it contradicts the above posters messages,

right, so we have a jerry can of fuel, there are two points to think of here, when it says 20 litres on the side, only stick in 20 litres, not the 22 it will hold, the reason is, in the summer time she will increase with a little vapour preasure when its hot, over fill and she has no area to expand into and she will leak or burst, no i have never seen one explode even fuel cans in saudi dont, always store up right when full to also keep the seals happy and we are good to go for around 3 months with petrol and realy not much more than 6 with diesel.

you dont have to vent the cans either, fill em and leave em alone, when you do vent petrol you are actualy loosing what you want to keep as its the fuel vapours that drive the engines.

to increase this we look on flea bay/halfords for " winter, fuel storeage stabilizer, additives", these are designed to be added to boats and lawn mowers and tractors etc to help preserve the fuel in tip top condition and will do so for many many years, the best way i can explain it is that petrol loses its volatility as it were and diesel becomes more oil than oompff in the same way.

we use a small amount in each litre or so much per gallon to keep things sweet.

heres a few other points if your looking to "prep" as it were and go larger or longer. i would suggest that you get a PLASTIC 50 gallon 200 litre drum and mass store in that not metal . a friend of mine used to have a fuel card and a one gallon can, ever time he filled up , he filled up, and kept it at home, the tank its self was sat in a hole in the ground to keep the sun off it but a shed or some where else would have done,

petrol can go the same way. be very very descret when it comes to fuel storeage as a busy body at the council will quite happily come and remove the lot for you for free!! we have low levels of allowable fuel storage in domestic propertys normaly set by the council but roughly 200 litres is your lot

right now lets look at the " i found a 40 yearold barrel of petrol/diesel and it was perfectly ok and i saved a fourtune" postings

firstly someone always does and some one always will.

depends on what vehical as well, stick dirty petrol into my 2 litre VW engine and i would blow the injector pump to pieces the same story is heard a million times in garages each year when people who have been "clever" and running on red diesel. get told they have blown there injector fuel pump to pieces because of the fuel they were using, some people can get away with it many many others cant, i have know someone drive a car on some of the worst fuel ever and not had a problem and i have seen people pay £500 to sorto ut transit van fuel problems because of red deisel. I would not waste the £23 it costs me to fill my jerry cans and then say another £300 on car carage bills just because i did not use 20 pence worth of winter fuel stabilizer additives.

may i also suggest that as well as saving on petrol you might also consider a set of oils too, it all goes one way price wise!!

this is what i was thinking of , there are other people and other firms but the ideas the same and proberly alot cheaper but it was the first one i saw on fleabay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QUICKSILV...tEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item53e96265fe

now and lastly, there are many here that will rave on about 20 year old fuel etc being ok, I personaly am not intrested, its not for me,

lastly a couple of pointers , if you can afford it store MAX fuel as it is a better grade , ie max petrol rather than bog standard petrol the same with diesel. and welcome to the secret world of the prepper.

Last edited:
D

DavidBFPO

hello, Think this may interest you on Diesel Storage.
Diesel fuel stores almost as easily as kerosene and is becoming more and more popular among the self sufficient. It is difficult to ignite intentionally and almost impossible to ignite by accident. Two grades are available: #1 diesel which is old-fashioned yellow kerosene, and #2 diesel which is the same thing as #2 home heating oil. (You may see literature to the contrary, but #2 diesel is #2 heating oil. Period.) Diesel fuel presents its own unique storage problems: The first is that it is somewhat hygroscopic; that is, it will absorb moisture from the air. The second and related problem is sludge formation. Sludge is the result of anaerobic bacteria living in the trapped water and eating the sulfur in the fuel. Left untreated, the sludge will grow until it fills the entire tank, ruining the fuel.

Stored diesel fuel should be treated with a biocide like methanol or diesel Sta-Bil as soon as it is delivered. Unique to #2 is the fact that some paraffin wax is dissolved in the fuel and will settle out at about 20° F, clogging the fuel filter. This “fuel freezing” may be eliminated by adding 10% gasoline or 20% kerosene to the diesel fuel. Commercial diesel fuel supplements are also available to solve the same problem. Diesel should be filtered before use.
Have a browse at this link from a fellow Prepper USofA-
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/warner43.html
Hopefully something in there of use.
Regards
David

there are many style or types of diesel , or kerosene, red or the irish green agricultrial diesel is coloured to prevent road use but it is also slightly differrent chemicaly the same is with heating fuel as as far as i know it used to come as 7 second or 20 second etc so each one is also slightly differrent, the same can be said for aircraft fuels etc. yes it will run a diesel engine and yes it will do at a push, but would you realy want to wreck your fuel system trying it?

if you are just a normal human being trying to save a few gallons, stick with the jerry cans and fuel stablizer.

if like me or by the sounds of it david bfpo then jion a "preppers" website you will find out how to store larger quantities better and what to use it for and how to treat and condition your fuels, i dont think a bush craft site will be the right sort of place to go into a long and arguementative discussion on fuel storage.

and like i say it depends on what vehical you are using it on, a normal car is no where near a bug out vehical

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am i missing someting here, but unless you have a very large amount of storage cappacity, is it realy worth it by the time you have brought all the drums/jerry cans, added the aditives.

And also is there not a legal amount that you can store at home/work with out having the HSE approved Tanks and Bunds in?. due to fire risk and damage to enviroment due to leaks, drips?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Wonder if cooking oil is also subject to the home-storage volume restrictions of petrol/diesel? My Musso TD actually runs smoother on new veggie oil than diesel (and emissions are way lower too - helpful for MOT tests!)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Wonder if cooking oil is also subject to the home-storage volume restrictions of petrol/diesel? My Musso TD actually runs smoother on new veggie oil than diesel (and emissions are way lower too - helpful for MOT tests!)

I would of thought there are volume restrictions, due to the evviroment but its the tax implications that most get caught out on, but thats no problem if you use it as an aditive to deisel, and you use less then 2500 ltrs per year.

I use a 50/50 mix, from time to time in my discovery.

there are more risks with the enviomental health and the over spill than there is on the actual storage of the fuel, all tanks have to be bunded now when dealing with storage as well as enviomental spill kits, you can safely go to 50 litres of fuel for personal home use. but when you get past 200 litres they can call it a permanant storage and as such bunded etc or they come and remove it

if your looking at long term you would want well over 5,000 litres just for laughs a bloke and a couple of jerry cans dont raise many problems. and at those levels straight running diesel engines are a waste of time far better to use adapted vehicals instead

also daft as it sounds cooking oil is more troublesome to deal with as a enviomental spill than petrol or diesel is, found it out by chance on a building site once when the canteen knocked a bucket of used chip oil over

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
so....would you carry a 20l metal jerry can of diesel in the back of a van with a separated cab secured with bungee cords

or would that be irresponsible and dangerous?

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I do wonder sometimes. I had a can of diesel that was at least three or more years old being an emergency can I never had cause to use. I had read allthe warnings reckoned it was not good to put in my car, so I took it to a local garage for disposal. They gladly took it, however the guy who took it did question me as to why I was getting rid of what was appeared to him be perfectly good diesel, made me feel a bit of a fool at the time.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I know someone who works on aircraft and runs both his diesel Audi A4 and his oil central heating on drained helicopter fuel without problems.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I know someone who works on aircraft and runs both his diesel Audi A4 and his oil central heating on drained helicopter fuel without problems.

When I was stationed over there (RAF Fairord) all the military vehicles were fueled with JP8. That's the reason the Air Force has gone to all diesel engines in all ground vehicles AND all AGE (Aerospace Ground Equipment) such as compressors, mules (hydraulic power units), portable lighting, etc. So they only have to deploy a single fuel (jet fuel) for both aircraft, and ground engines. It greatly simplifies the logistics.

Most (all that I know of) helicopters have jet engines and therefore burn some grade of jet fuel. So do most (if not all) larger, modern propellor aircraft

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!

I hope he runs diesel through his car every now and them, avtur doesn't lubricate the valves like diesel does, it also ruins your emission test on the mot, we used to regularly get idiot gassed out of their tents after putting it into the kerosene heaters, it smokes like a tramp!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE