Diagnosed on the Autistic Spectrum.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I saw a doctor and it turn my life around. (But was also a bit of a shock).

I am Tengu for a reason...alien being of a bright and livley mind but poor social? But these days I am more human.

Being on this group has helped me loads over the years, I have finally been able to get on in life, do things, have more confidence, I have told you about some of the great things I have done (and there will be lots more)

People here are not judgemental of my quirks...though that doesnt mean they let me get away with being...well, an obnoxious tengu...

I met a guy today who was talking about alienation due to deafness
`But you communicate just fine` I say. `Do not worry, you get on well`
(Can you imagine the enormity of lip reading if you never look at another face?)

So I told him about my problems and me overcomming them `with a lot of help`.

And he said he had family who were similar, -but it didnt stop them from getting ahead though yes they too struggle.

He said AS is something you grow into, rather than grow out of.

Which I think is true, -you become more at ease with yourself...and learn how to cope.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Why do I need to know from a doctor that I have aspergers or something even further up the spectrum? It changes nothing for me. As I've said, if it makes people feel better about things, then I've no issue with it, all the power to them. I've simply pointed out that it is not the case for me, and yet you're telling me that I'm wrong in my appraoch. Seems to work just great for me thanks :)

Depends which kind of doctor. I agree with you about the over medicalisation of conditions that essentially have nothing to do with medicine, and have long campaigned around the social model of disability. In one sense I prefer to talk about the discovery of autism rather than the diagnosis as it is an important part of self discovery and how you view it changes the way you see the world around you. I have a doctorate, of the learned kind, not the medical, and had I never been diagnosed it is unlikely I would ever have pursued it.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Interesting thread. This bushcraft activity / interest has an attraction for certain kinds of people. One example is the high number of martial artists who show up for the Moot, compared to a similar size group of the average population. I am certain that the autism spectrum thing is similar. I know Tengu and one other person at the Moot with Asperger's and innumerable people with varying levels of dyslexia, far more than I have encountered outside this interest. Seems bushcraft suits us :)

On the diagnosis thing, I can only go by my experience. I got diagnosed as dyslexic after I failed my second year at university in fairly remarkable style. In some ways it didn't make a difference, but in others it was a huge deal to have a label and some sign posts to help deal with what had been a totally nebulous and impenetrable problem.

Finally, I am an engineer, and I am convinced that all engineers are all slightly further along that spectrum than the average. :D Detail oriented, the more technical the better, blunt and unsubtle when being honesty (yes, your bum looks big in that...it doesn't matter how much you spent on that plane, the wings are going to fall off), dogged determination and focus on (interesting) problems, the assumption that if we think they are interesting to us, they MUST be interesting for everyone and lack of awareness that detailed descriptions of fascinating technical problems make listeners want to run for the hills. :lmao:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Another way to view all this..
At work at Clynfyw Care farm in West Wales we use outdoor activities ranging from Horticulture to country walks, as well as Bushcraft, as therapy for our Participants who have a range of "Learning Disability" including Autistic Spectrum issues. Many of the Participants respond quite dramatically (in a good way!) to the atmosphere and calm of the Bushcraft site in the woods.
I find the fact of going into the woods for my Bushcrafting helps sooth my cares away - perhaps those with issues are naturally drawn to the woods for "self medication".... it could explain the strange demographic of committed Bushcrafters :)

KenThis

Settler
Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Hi,

I'm grateful for the kind words and understanding, to answer briefly some points.
The diagnosis is very important to me, I've known my entire life that I was different and now I know why. The diagnosis will also help me to access help to get me to where I want to be. I see it as liberating as previous bouts of anger meant me holing up at home and not wanting to engage with people as I was scared of what would happen if I lost control. Now I know why I am prone to get angry and frustrated I can deal with root causes better. Diagnosis is also very important with regards my family and friends, they put up with a lot from me and have sufferered my tantrums. Going forward they will be able to also better understand my triggers and know that it is not personal. I've even noticed in the last few days being a little less anxious, it feels like a burden has been lifted somewhat.
The diagnosis process has not been quick. I have suffered depression and anxiety my whole adult life. I have had numerous doctors and several psychologists try to help me. For the last 5 years I have really suffered and been on medication which has not helped. January/February I was in a very bad place, was referred to primary care and they referred me to a psychiatrist. After several sessions and some questionaires I was diagnosed. It was somewhat of a surprise but also makes so much sense looking back.
I think some of the reasons I'm drawn to bushcraft are the simplicity with complexity, food, water, shelter, fire the only things you have to worry about. Also the routine of camping is very therapeutic, along with the peace and quiet and lower numbers of people. As a natural collector the gadget/gear aspect is also addictive.

Anyhow thanks again and if anyone has any further questions I'm happy to answer.
And if anyone wishes to talk please feel free to personal message me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE