Desert Survival Kit

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
I'm planning a trip in Utah this september (by canoe), do you have any recommendations for (emergency) kit to carry?
The trip should take 6 days and is with 2 adults.
I've read the threads on survival kits but was particularly interested in any recommendations for this type of environment

ATB

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I have to head to work soon so I don't have enough time to type up a lot of recommendations but one thing that I will say is to bring a sheet of clear plastic with you so as to make a solar still. A solar still will take some time to furnish you with enough water in an emergency situation but it does work and is well worth it.

Adam

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
hey moab i'm a seventh generation Arizona boy i lived in the desert all my life except the time i spent in the Army...first off welcome to the U.S.A.were always glad to have our English friends visit..first off find out what the normal daytime and nighttime temp is and plan from that...always drink water and always have more water and or a means to get it...always drink water even before your thirsty...stay away from beer and most so called sports drinks(they contain way to much salt)which will dry you out....wear head gear,sun glasses and cover exposed skin...oh yea drink water.....next some type of shelter you can get up fast and easy to protect you from the sun...next signal items ie..a good glass mirrior and signal panel...you can also modify the items in your survival tin ,like taking out the tea candle so it won't melt and add more water getting items ...alway let some one know where your going(route etc.) how many in your party(names etc..) and when you'll be back (date, time, where)...this info will save your life..leave it at a ranger station and with a close friend....oh yea drink water....lastly don't go above your skill level, go with your gut feeling ....have a great time..:D ..vince g. 11b inf....

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
i hear you BOD ..but here in the southwest U.S. we read in the papers all the time of those that venture out into the desert with little to no water and maybe a ice cooler with just beer or soft drinks....i was just pressing the point that if your in the desert you need a lot of water and a way to make it clean to drink..also he has to travel on a road in a car/truck to get to his jump off point and should have emergency supplys from the getgo.. and just because he's floating on water it does'nt mean it's safe to drink...remember the old saying (water! water! everywhere but not a drop to drink)..:D ..vince g. 11b inf.

Jul 14, 2007
Moab,

I'm the so-called "expert" that Yonderer mentioned. My Pard is very generous -
I am assuredly not an expert, but I do spend a lot of time playing cowboy and exploring
and prospecting the high desert wilderness.

First of all, I'm delighted to find this board. Thank you, Yonderer!

There seem to be a lot of kindred spirits here.

Now, to the topic: I spent my youth running through the woods and swamps of the
American deep-south. The desert was a hostile environment that I had to learn to
live in, if indeed I have.

I have a ranch in the Nevada high desert. It's 10 miles from the nearest paved road - an hour-
plus to the neatest town. Please forgive the amateurish photography - the 1881 Ranch is
essentially the right half of the panorama splice and the land runs back to the second ridge
line. As you might infer, there's nothing out there except sagebrush, wild mustangs and
graboids (if you remember the movie Tremors) - and it's nowhere near as beautiful as Utah.
Then again, it's full of wild west history, gold, silver, and copper mines, Paiute Indians, Stage
Coach Lines, Cavalry Forts and even the Pony Express.

One thing I might point out is that many visitors I meet from across the pond are astonished
that in the wilderness of the American West, many men (and women) still openly carry
firearms.

1881Panorama2frmTOW.jpg

Needless to say, my partners and friends and I spend lots of time out exploring and prospecting
the deep desert.

belownipple183.jpg

DCMG06182.jpg

so, to the kit:

Every situation and location is slightly different. You need to assess your specific need/
environment/ proximity to "civilization" and plan accordingly.

11binf is 100% correct:
..first off find out what the normal daytime and nighttime temp is and plan from that...always drink water and always have more water and or a means to get it...always drink water even before your thirsty...stay away from beer and most so called sports drinks(they contain way to much salt)which will dry you out....wear head gear,sun glasses and cover exposed skin...oh yea drink water.....next some type of shelter you can get up fast and easy to protect you from the sun...next signal items ie..a good glass mirrior and signal panel...you can also modify the items in your survival tin ,like taking out the tea candle so it won't melt and add more water getting items ...alway let some one know where your going(route etc.) how many in your party(names etc..) and when you'll be back (date, time, where)...this info will save your life..leave it at a ranger station and with a close friend....oh yea drink water....lastly don't go above your skill level, go with your gut feeling ....have a great time.. ..vince g. 11b inf....

For all "newbies" coming out to the ranch, we insist on clothing that covers skin. Long sleeves
can be rolled up. The high desert air is thin and the UV radiation horrific. You can get serious
sun burn in a heartbeat. We also insist on brimmed hats to cover the ears and nape of the neck.
Frankly, I always wear a silk bandana around my neck. It covers the throat, can be wetted and
put under my hat to help cool off in the really bad heat, and a host of uses.

One other small item most don't even consider until too late is a simple pair of leather work
gloves. More than once my gloves have been of inestimable use protecting my hands from
extreme sun exposure, or many of the incredible array of cactus spines, mesquite thorns,
and sharp rocks that seem to be everywhere in the desert wilderness.
And when you need 'em... you really need 'em.

Water, as mentioned is critical. Desert humidity is extremely low. You never realize that you're
dehydrated until after the fact. So, as b11inf recommended, we insist that folks drink water
before they get thirsty - if you are not urinating, you are courting dehydration!

I always carry a canteen and an extra gallon or two of water depending on how far we're
going into the desert.

I always explore and prospect with an ATV and on that ATV I carry a bag filled with survival
essentials. My entire ATV kit weighs about 30 pounds. Not shown is my canvas coat that I
carry even during summer (desert nights can be brutally cold). You might notice 2 smaller
carry bags. They come in handy on the occasion that the entire kit is "less necessary".

In addition to these:
Cell phone
GPS, maps and compass
Canteen
1st Aid Kit
Sunblock
Boonie Hat
Folding Shovel
over glasses Eye Goggles (for sandstorms)
2 cell Maglight
AA batterys (for Maglight, GPS, CB)
1 roll toilet paper
6" adjustable wrench
bic lighter
bungee cords
folding knife & nylon sheath
Leatherman Wave or Gerber Tool
magnesium fire starter
strike anywhere matches waterproof matches container
multi blade screwdriver
tow strap
roll of electrical tape
Aerial Signal Flares
Signal Smoke Flare
small mill file (very handy)
small size needle nose visegrip
space blanket
8mm,10,12,13,14,15, combo wrenches
linemans pliers
spare spark plug
100 ft paracord
asstd size shrink tubing
doz asstd sz cotter pins
duct tape
tire plug kit
5 ft 18 ga. electrical wire
spare fuses
spark plug wrench
asstd electrical connectors
12v air compressor pump
tire repair kit and C02 canisters
whet stone

Here's a few 1000 words worth of pictures:

ATVbag023.jpg

ATVbag021.jpg

ATVbag018.jpg

ATVbag016.jpg

ATVbag017.jpg

ATVbag015.jpg

ATVbag013.jpg

Let me add that since you are on a canoe trip, should you intend to make drinking and cooking
use of the waters you'll be paddling through, I'd urge you seriously investigate the water before
using it. In our part of Nevada, the nearest reservoir is mercury contaminated and the ground
water (local drinking water) has the maximum allowable of level of arsenic in it and still have it
listed as consumable. Personally, I take 100% of my water with me when I go to the ranch.

Sorry about the long 1st post, but hopefully, this will give you some food for thought.

OJC

Jul 14, 2007
Welcome aboard Old Judge Creek. This is an awesome forum.

I'm based in Winnemucca, where are you?

George:)

Thanks for the welcome, George.

Please pardon my deliberate vaugery:

As I'm still occasionally active in the entertainment industry, my primary residence is in the San Francisco Bay Area.

My ranch is more towards the Virginia City area.

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
Thankyou all for the swift and substantial advice/help,especially old judge creek for the comprehensive post + the piccies.

Its certainly food for thought on the planning, we're intending to take all our water (based on 4 litres per person per day = 48 litres) and hopefully we'll have room for some other kit:D

ATB

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
welcome Old Judge Creek to the forum...always great to have another American from the southwest here....also thanks for the pic's of your kit,we always like pic's of kit here...i'm here in north Phx.Arizona and it just got up to 113 a day or so ago,lots of fun..:D ..again welcome to the site...vince g. 11b inf....

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Thankyou all for the swift and substantial advice/help,especially old judge creek for the comprehensive post + the piccies.

Its certainly food for thought on the planning, we're intending to take all our water (based on 4 litres per person per day = 48 litres) and hopefully we'll have room for some other kit:D

ATB

That sort of local advice and knowledge is invalable.
Looks to me you want to base you survival water stratergy around actual distiling ( as opposed to just boiling ) or maybe the more comprhensive water purifiers will take out the mercury and arsenic, a bit of reserch needed there, some good links have been posted in the forums recently and would make a good starting point.

4litres a day doesn't sound very much to me for human powered travel in desert conditions, probably enough to sit round waiting to be rescued but walking or portege of canoes I would have though would require substantially more to keep you going strong for 6 days.

My gut feeling is that there's a magnitude of difference between going from comfort to 2 days of desert heat back to comfort with 8ltrs to get you through and what you seem to be planning of staying out for 6 days on 4ltrs a day.

Old Judge Creek ( welcome ) say's that when out ontop of his canteen he takes a gallon or 2, thats 4-8 litres, and uses his all terrain vehicle so would have thought as your using human powered travel, you'll need at least near his upper margin rather than his lower one.

Im no expert and have never even been to a desert Im just a little concerned that you may be underestimating the amount you need for you type of journey based on someone else's different type.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE