Dennis Wall stickmaker - who is he?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
In last weeks Shooting Times there was an article about country shows, in it they briefly talked about about a stick maker called Dennis Wall and showed one of his sticks. It was beautifull.
I've googled for him but with no luck, can anybody shed any light on this chap at all.
The only other thing the article said about him was he was 'up north' not sure where though. :eek:

Any help would be appreciated because I'd like to get one for SWMBO if I can.

Cheers

Mark

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Thanks Marts
I just emailed them, they couldn't tell me but suggested I get in touch with the stickmakers guild. So I've emailed them and am waiting to hear.

Cheers

mark

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Just so you know Mark, Dennis only placed 2nd and 3rd place in the plain walking stick horn competition at the Selby Game fair last april. Also he only managed 3rd in the fancy stick horn class. Mr G Flintoft swept the boards apparently :eek:
Thankfully Dennis got 1st and 2nd place in the miniatures competition (Although there were only two entries last year :rolleyes: )

Dennis rested for some time after this thorough drubbing and messers Flintoft and Blinkworth continued to dominate in the Northern part of the country.

But by late July Dennis had had enough rest and returned at the Royal Lancashire show. A third place in the Horn Head walking stick and the ladies walking stick were just warm ups...2nd place in the one piece thumb sticks led, some would say inevitably, to victory in the fancy thumbstick. Dennis was well and truly back. (Of course it must be noted that Flintoft and Blinkworth were conspicuous by their absence. Possibly having fled abroad for the summer months and some well deserved rest :cool: )

Whatever the case, by August they were back and a familiar pattern began to emerge. Even the entry of Dennis's wife (Mrs L Wall), despite a creditable 3rd place in Ornamental Antler Stick-any style, didn't seem to bring Dennis back on his game. Sure, he placed 1st in the Half Head Stick-Wood or Horn-any style division, but only at his better half's expense (she came 2nd and Flintoff didn't enter)

Early September wasn't much better for Dennis, but things were about to take a turn for the good. 18th of September saw the arrival of The Nidderdale show - always a good spot for our man. Tension was obvious - Flintoft had entered all across the boards. The show-down events were inevitably the fiercly contested Lady`s Horn-headed Walking Stick and the equally well loved Shepherd`s Crook, Horn-headed, Fancy. Judging was bound to be harsh - Mr Donald Calvert is known for his eagle eyes and his demanding form. The results came in and....
Dennis first. Dennis First!! He'd done it. Flintoft shook his hand, but there was no love lost there it was plain to see. In fact he didn't even hang around for the final announcement...Best In Show: Mr Dennis Wall. The Eagle had landed :buttkick:

Dennis took things a bit easier for the remainder of the year. Apart from a quick spanking of Flintoft in Natural Growth Thumb Stick at November's Welsh stick show and craft fair (Flintoft still got best in show for amongst other things a technically demanding Decorated Stick. Horn)

Dennis decided not to enter at the Bass Museum a few days later. Probably a good thing as Flintoft and Blinkworth tore seven shades of S**t out of the competition.

Emotional old game competitive stickmaking :rolleyes: ;)

Don't ask...work's slow :p And I still don't know how to get in contact with him :rolleyes:

Reactions: scanker

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE