Denim

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
What sort of trousers do people wear whilst in the outdoors. I've never really worn anything apart from Denim as that is what i am most comfortable in.

I have notice Gary's selling some trousers on Bearclaw . What are these like? Im not much of a fan of the colour, and i don't like lots of pockets, but what gives them the upper over denim? Im thinking i need some!

And also Gary, do you use those boots featured on that page? What are they like!?

Cheers,
Jake

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Denim is very hard wearing as you know, but it has awful thermal properties when wet and it takes ages to dry afterwards. Quite often I've been called out to look for people on the South Downs that have gone out for a walk in fine weather which has promptly turned foul. When they are found, they are suffering from mild hypothermia due to wet denim and the added windchill.

And that's in a british summer :shock:

Cheers,

Martin

Bushmaster

Forager
Oct 17, 2004
Scotland
The trouble with denim is,that as soon as it gets wet it looses any thermal protection it ever had.Coupled with the increase in weight and slow drying properties,denim (imho) has to be the worst choice of leg wear in the great out doors.
I prefer a light weight cotton material,of dense weave for windproofness
(is that a word?lol) it drys quickly and is low in weight. :)
Hope this helps.
Geoff
:biggthump

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers guys. What about the trousers on bearclaw then?

Jake

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers guys, im not much of a fan of DPM or military image! But the Bearclaw ones are good. I think at 13 quid i can't really go far wrong!

Bushmaster

Forager
Oct 17, 2004
Scotland
Rats that link did not work.They have some neutral coloured ones ie tan or sandy colour but you will have to have a mooch around.
Geoff :roll:

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Jake Rollnick said:
What sort of trousers do people wear whilst in the outdoors. I've never really worn anything apart from Denim as that is what i am most comfortable in.

I have notice Gary's selling some trousers on Bearclaw . What are these like? Im not much of a fan of the colour, and i don't like lots of pockets, but what gives them the upper over denim? Im thinking i need some!

And also Gary, do you use those boots featured on that page? What are they like!?

Cheers,
Jake

Jake, if you want to see some very good comparisons between denim and poly/cotton fabric like Gary's army trousers, go to the

Fjällräven - G1000 Denim Comparison Tests

Check out the bottom section especially the drying parts. I find Denim jeans are terrible when cold and especially wet. Here, cotton does not perform. You could try waxing or proofing them but the weght is also greater for less thermal efficiency and drying properties.

Buy FJ clothing or other poly cotton clothing like those lightweight British army trousers. Have a go at waxing them for better water resistance or Nikwax etc.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Jake Rollnick said:
Cheers guys. What about the trousers on bearclaw then?
Jake, ive bought these lightweights from Gary and can say they are excellent value for money!
I really wasnt expecting quite such quality for £13 but have been nicely surprised, they are just like my genuine issue ones only brand new!

Very wind proof, dry very quickly and have a ready made wet tinder pouch (leg pocket) that I use to dry birch bark etc in. And at such a price you dont mind givin` em hell :super:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers guys, i thought it was about time to stop using denim when walking even though i've being doing it my whole life! :shock: :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE