Trip Report Denali Tundra Hike

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
After years of yearning, I finally got my chance to visit Denali National Park (Alaska, USA) and explore the tundra. To me, hiking on tundra feels like walking on a trampoline. If you have hiked on tundra, how would you describe it?

0-TundraTitle.jpg

57-Tundra.jpg

The ground was carpeted with blueberries and lingonberries.

25-Blueberry.jpg

22-Lingonberry.jpg

I also brewed some Labrador tea. I'm not usually a tea drinker. But I loved this tea after a long hike on the tundra.

30-Labrador1.jpg

During my hike, we also had a surprise animal encounter. I didn't expect to see an American black bear in open tundra. They usually prefer the nearby boreal forests.

43-bear.jpg

Here are some more pictures from my hike with additional detail about the plants and animals I saw. There's also a full account of my a surprise animal encounter. It was touch-and-go for a bit.

Denali Tundra Hike

- Woodsorrel

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I can only scroll so far down the pix because my computer's running slow this morning bec ause my computer's running slow but I'll try again later. What I did see was great though! Thanks!

Are all the blueberry bushes so low growing there?

Reactions: woodsorrel
Yes, you're right santaman. The blueberry bushes and lingonberry bushes were only ankle high. And they were everywhere! Each step we took landed on a blueberry, crowberry, or lingonberry bush. I felt guilty about stepping on a potential food source. But there are thousands of acres of them. And the small disturbance from our hike is minimal. It's stunning to be in a wilderness that big.

- Woodsorrel

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The bears get pulled out of the forest edges by the available berries before the salmon runs.
Sometimes, the black bears get pushed out there by the resident grizz. Good way to avoid getting killed.

One any of your tundra bog walk, was any of it truly floating?
That you can't stand still, you can't stop, because you are sinking in a lake?

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Lovley pics! I'd like to someday see it.
....now for the essentials - what stove did you use? Nah, just kiding :)

How long a hike was it? Are there cabins or is all-tent enjoyment? Is the water drinkable without purification?

Greger

The bears get pulled out of the forest edges by the available berries before the salmon runs.
Sometimes, the black bears get pushed out there by the resident grizz. Good way to avoid getting killed.

One any of your tundra bog walk, was any of it truly floating?
That you can't stand still, you can't stop, because you are sinking in a lake?

I think you're right, Robson Valley. Most likely, the bear was lured out of the forest by the bounty of berries on the tundra.

On this hike, we did not encounter any tundra that was floating. But I plan to post pictures of another hike I did where I explore a beaver lodge (the first one I've ever seen). The beaver's dam flooded the nearby tundra in all directions. It was an impressive defense and I sank to my knees as I approached the lodge.

- Woodsorrel

Lovley pics! I'd like to someday see it.
....now for the essentials - what stove did you use? Nah, just kiding :)

How long a hike was it? Are there cabins or is all-tent enjoyment? Is the water drinkable without purification?

Greger

Greger, the park is managed like a wilderness. No motorized vehicles except for special buses that bring you into the park from the entrance. There is a 92-mile gravel road the buses use to access the park. There are two types of buses. Tour buses go the length of the road and back in one day. They have a guide and stop at various places. Hikers' buses travel the length of the road and stop wherever you tell them you want to get off. They will also pick you up at the side of the road (especially if there is Grizzly nearby). There are few trails in Denali. Most of your hiking is bushwhacking.

I stayed at a private lodge 90 miles down the road (cabins). This permitted me to dayhike without getting up so early to catch a bus. I have a link to the lodge in the full article.

Otherwise, you must take a hikers' bus and either get off at one of several campsites, or get off and hike into the backcountry at least 1/4 mile from the road. The park regulates backpacking by requiring backcountry permits. As a result, you can do an entire trip without encountering another sole. That's awesome!

There are pure springs you can drink from without fear of infection. But most of the water I would purify. Better safe than sick in the middle of your trip. :)

- Woodsorrel

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's a good name = Labrador Tea. Nice to read that you had time to stop and try some.
The Pacific Northwest is a very big, very empty place.

The black bears here lie down to lick the berries off the low (12" bushes) and crawl along.
At least you got a long look and they are so curious.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE