(deleted)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
One thing I find about being autistic is that it does make you very single minded. I have got an allotment but the slugs seem to eat more of the produce than I do, I am not at all sure that it could provide enough to survive however but it sure as hell provides more than huntin and fishin, not that there are any fish in the local river to be caught and I would have to eat cats and rats, or maybe squirrels. No shooting is allowed on the plot though. I really don't see how any one can survive in the UK if they do not have somewhere to grow crops at any rate. Ironically there are areas of land even in dense urban environments where, if you had an accident you might not be found for years. I am in adverse possession of just such a piece of land, I would not want to live there though, I would not last long. In high summer I can stand in the middle of it, in earshot of the housing estate and the allotment but nobody knows I am there. There used to be a man in Coventry who lived on his own in a piece of Council woodland, nobody knew his name and I have no idea how he survived, but he did. https://medium.com/adams-notebook/mr-tuesday-in-wainsbury-woods-4eea998554fd

Reactions: Toddy

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
One thing I find about being autistic is that it does make you very single minded. I have got an allotment but the slugs seem to eat more of the produce than I do, I am not at all sure that it could provide enough to survive however but it sure as hell provides more than huntin and fishin, not that there are any fish in the local river to be caught and I would have to eat cats and rats, or maybe squirrels. No shooting is allowed on the plot though. I really don't see how any one can survive in the UK if they do not have somewhere to grow crops at any rate. Ironically there are areas of land even in dense urban environments where, if you had an accident you might not be found for years. I am in adverse possession of just such a piece of land, I would not want to live there though, I would not last long. In high summer I can stand in the middle of it, in earshot of the housing estate and the allotment but nobody knows I am there. There used to be a man in Coventry who lived on his own in a piece of Council woodland, nobody knew his name and I have no idea how he survived, but he did. https://medium.com/adams-notebook/mr-tuesday-in-wainsbury-woods-4eea998554fd
i like mr tuesday link. i dont think you would get left alone today, Years ago people used to live and let live and be more accepting of those living differently i think, x

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
i like mr tuesday link. i dont think you would get left alone today, Years ago people used to live and let live and be more accepting of those living differently i think, x
Back in the day people got to Mr Tuesday's wood by crossing over the railway from the more accessible woods on the other side, however that became impossible with new security fencing. There are a lot of woods that are open access but impossible to get to.

You cannot exist solitary; not in Scotland, not without any interaction with others.

My Dad lived wild on Rannoch Moor in the 'hungry thirties', but he survived not just on his hunting and fishing, but on the kindness of the local farmers wives. They gave him oatmeal, eggs, crowdie, etc., as they had it in exchange for his labour when he was well enough to work.
He was a joiner and he had had rheumatic fever. No NHS in those days, no Welfare State, and at home he was another mouth to feed in a family in the Industrial heartlands. He took himself off with a small kit of tools, an army pup tent, a good oilskin groundsheet, an army sleeping bag, and healed and recovered healthily.
It was far from easy and he knew the land and the people, and was one of the most able and capable people you would ever meet.
He said bad days of fever and aches ran into shivering weeks at times.

What do you offer to barter ? to help ?
Who do you know ? who would happily meet you and put the kettle on ? see that you have a hot meal ?
You want to be in the Gaidhealtachd, you claim you grew up on a farm, are experienced with stock, well there are places where farm labour would be welcomed, where you could be productive, build a quiet life.
The pragmatist in me says that in the Gaidhealtachd that few folks only have one string to their bow. That they multi task just to get everything done. It's normal. No one exists without other people in some way.

Perhaps you'd do well looking at things like this where hosts advertise for help in exchange for accomodation and meals ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gàidhealtachd

from my personal experience in Australia, Kangaroo Island, Aotearoa and South Korea i can recommend wwoofing -- with one exception (restoration island) it was a lot of great experiences, incl. 10weeks with Aborigines.... i kept in touch with some hosts for many years and were friends with several of them (sadly they're gone now...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ystranc and Toddy

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Being found and being investigated for illegal immigration are two very different things. As terrible as it sounds, I am white so the probability of being suspected is little to none. Secondly, there are roughly 40,000 illegals entering into the UK in 2023 alone, this does not include a total population which is suspected to be greater than 800,000 - 1.2 million. Therefore the probability of being deported is little to none.

I am sorry I have clearly offended you but to each their own I guess. To avoid further conflict, I will refrain from responding to these type of comments. If comments like these pursue, I will respectfully delete my account from this platform.

Edit: While Scotland has plenty of crofts owned by others this does not mean that a person cannot camp on certain areas, such as bothies and wild places. The goal isn't to disappear like Alaska but to refrain form living amongst the population
I work in the criminal justice system in Scotland, I think I have a tiny bit more knowledge and experience of what will happen to a dilettante who is not only planning to steal from landowners but publicly posting that they intend to. And being white has nothing to do with it, Americans stand out FAR more than people from any other country on earth here, they just can't help it.

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
Why not go on a course if you have the money available, you would get a ton of info and a fair bit of practical experience.
A couple of bits of kit I like and use are below.
Sea to Summit make a great mossi head net that does a great job, to get the most out of it you need a wide brimmed hat like a tilley or similar.
A decent cook kit although a bit old and bit heavy is the Trangia, super simple, works in any conditions and contains almost everything to start cooking straight away.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I think all advice on this thread is now unnecessary, the OP has asked for his account to be deleted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE