(deleted)

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Unless you’re going to be using the kit before you get up here, I’d hang on until after you’ve moved up, less stuff to transport!

Personally, decent footware would be a high priority. I’d suggest trying on boots in shops before buying preferable to internet purchases, and do it in the afternoon, when your feet are at there largest!

You can check out the MBA (Mountain Bothies Association) website and books, such as the Scottish Bothie Bible, for locations. The MBA often need volunteers the help maintain the bothies?

You’d be welcome to have a look and try some of my kit to see how you get on with it before you make any purchase’s, just PM me if/when you come up.

Falstaff

Forager
Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
May I suggest you look at a few Preppers websites for lists and info. They tend to have done a fair bit of thinking and practice on the subject. The scenarios basically cover travelling & getting to some form of base location, but there might be a few that consider longer term mobile living.
The problem in all survival type scenarios is the time required to find/obtain food. As Woody Girl said, it takes time to learn an area and generally necessitates a fixed location.

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
Don't forget the golden rules for going into the hills: tell someone where you are going, your planned route, when you will be back, and stick to your planned route. Don't hesitate to turn back (or use your planned escape route) if the weather turns.

A personal locator beacon might be a good idea, makes life easier for the MRT when you go down with hypothermia/exposure after you failed to find enough food you're tired and your mobile is out of charge/has no signal.

My (now late) father was a MRT member in the eastern Lake District nearly 30-40 years ago. Before that he was an outdoor instructor in that area. The combination of cold/wet/hungry/tired can be a killer. Not to be underestimated.

Living off the land: in UK, to be effective must primarily be done through agricultural/horticulture/smallholding, you just cannot get enough food from (legal) hunting and foraging. In Scotland that was basically crofting, this needs specific skills (not "survival" skills) and typically a family unit who also make things to sell or barter for what they cannot grow or acquire directly.

Have you considered staying as a volunteer with something like a Permaculture community for a while, ideally in southern Rngland or Wales where you can learn some basics of "living off the land" in a more forgiving environment?

Finally- I am giving this one more go as I really don't want you to become another MRT statistic.

GC

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
If you want a tried and tested gear list, the Woodlore site has some of the better kit, and not so much it's hard to navigate

The only additional recommendation are these boots for every day tasks, not necessarily hiking

And as I am a multi tool mad, the charge

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I want to know if the OP has been to Scotland yet and what does he think of it?

(Survival in Scotia for me has been picking up as many local volumes as possible and getting used to Irn Bru...)

• Haha
Reactions: Toddy

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I am happy to hear from you again as well my friend. The thing is I haven't been fully honest. If I haven't mentioned before, I am autistic (mid to high functioning). My mum lost her life to D.V (domestic violence) and I barely escaped with mine. Due to years and years of abuse, I have been diagnosed with PTSD. To which prevent me from being able to work in America due to trauma. I have no future, no happiness and every day I pray to God for death. Not also including my only friend was murdered, I witnessed a mass shooting and so much more. Long story short I am terrified to go back to America and staying there will 110% be the death of me.

I finally found a company to rent to me in London for 6 months at a time which gives me a lease, utilities, etc. I just need to be gone 24 hours, come back in, and then start my new lease. I received a loan enough money to survive for maybe 2 years but once that dries up I am screwed. So in the meantime I am trying to become legal so I can work and get the mental help I need. I am talking to universities in Scotland, trying to get my visa and so forth. But if this fails, I need a plan B.

If I can't, I'd rather spend my final days trying to survive in Scotland than go back to the states. I know I may become a statistic but we all have to go one day so why not take control of my own living every second as my last. I am sorry for all who are offended by this but when you have had a bad life like mine (God forbid if not worse) I hope you can understand my views.

Like I said, this may offend some and I am sorry but as my abuser always said...I am r*tarded. I am a very intelligent young man but that doesn't change the fact that I am mentally different and broken. I cannot survive nor live in America another day. I have no family, no friends and in my own religious beliefs, immigration is a worldly law and does not stand above God (I am catholic). I will never return to America. This nation is my happy place. I feel safe (unlike america). I feel close to my ancestral roots. And above all else, I never knew happiness like this could exist.

I am doing my best to follow the law and do things right and I don't want to go this route but if I run out of options and there is no choice, without regret, I will become a statistic living every second as my last until my mother and I are reunited. It's not my goal to become a statistic but I rather risk it than return to the states. I know many people will advise me differently but I ask of you to advise me as my mind is set and gaining experience through classes, proper equipment, etc. as it would be my only hope and final option.

Thank you all for your kind words and help. May God be with you all and may you never feel the pain I do or the urge to live rurally to survive. I wouldn't wish this upon anyone. I have truly enjoyed my time here. If I do become a statistic, I am sorry for any trouble I may have caused. I just want to be happy and Scotland is where I find that. Regardless of my ancestral roots, I love this land. I love this nation. I love the politics, the history, the people, the ancient language (yes I know it's only spoken by 1%) and so much more.

When you have no friends or family, you live in isolation, you are absolutely broken every day since you were a child, never felt love your entire life, and seek only peace even if it means being your final days, you would understand what I mean. Not many will agree or understand what I mean but I don't expect anyone to. I will not be 50 years old and still trying to follow the legal system stuck in a place I don't want to be. I am sorry.

Sooner or later I am sure I will become a statistic as no one who goes to live rurally (or even unwillingly homeless) lives to be elderly. So I am sorry for any trouble I may have caused. I just want to be happy before I leave this world and Scotland is where I find that. Regardless of my ancestral roots, I love this land. I love this nation. I love the politics, the history, the people, the ancient language (yes I know it's only spoken by 1%) and so much more.

To conclude, right now, I am a step closer to my goal of staying in Scotland as I am currently legal but that will change in the next year or so if I don't get my student visa. I just want safety and happiness. In 1 - 2 years I pray it doesn't come to this but if it does, I will go out with my boots on doing what I love, where I love. I plan on in the meantime getting all the experience and training I need. We all deserve happiness, safety and love no matter or difference. I am sorry for all who I have offended.

Thank you all for your kind words and help. May God be with you all and may you never feel the pain I do or the urge to live rurally to survive. I wouldn't wish this upon anyone. I have truly enjoyed my time here.
"So in the meantime I am trying to become legal so I can work and get the mental help I need. I am talking to universities in Scotland, trying to get my visa and so forth. But if this fails, I need a plan B."

This is not a Plan B. You have been informed before, Scotland has wild places but no wilderness. There is nowhere you can go and not be found because there is nowhere you can go that does not belong to someone else. And without a visa you will be arrested, sent to a detention centre for illegal immigrants and eventually deported, never to return.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You cannot exist solitary; not in Scotland, not without any interaction with others.

My Dad lived wild on Rannoch Moor in the 'hungry thirties', but he survived not just on his hunting and fishing, but on the kindness of the local farmers wives. They gave him oatmeal, eggs, crowdie, etc., as they had it in exchange for his labour when he was well enough to work.
He was a joiner and he had had rheumatic fever. No NHS in those days, no Welfare State, and at home he was another mouth to feed in a family in the Industrial heartlands. He took himself off with a small kit of tools, an army pup tent, a good oilskin groundsheet, an army sleeping bag, and healed and recovered healthily.
It was far from easy and he knew the land and the people, and was one of the most able and capable people you would ever meet.
He said bad days of fever and aches ran into shivering weeks at times.

What do you offer to barter ? to help ?
Who do you know ? who would happily meet you and put the kettle on ? see that you have a hot meal ?
You want to be in the Gaidhealtachd, you claim you grew up on a farm, are experienced with stock, well there are places where farm labour would be welcomed, where you could be productive, build a quiet life.
The pragmatist in me says that in the Gaidhealtachd that few folks only have one string to their bow. That they multi task just to get everything done. It's normal. No one exists without other people in some way.

Perhaps you'd do well looking at things like this where hosts advertise for help in exchange for accomodation and meals ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gàidhealtachd

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
@Mhearadh.macleod: It's easy to live in a parallel world in one's head to escape a tough environment. Perhaps those of us on the autistic spectrum (as I also am) do it particularly well..... it's the same visualisation skills that are in another context a real talent.

BUT- I am concerned that you are in a really bad place. Even if you don't care about your own health and surviving in the wild, even if you saw this as a way out, spare at least a thought for those volunteers who will go looking for you, and who genuinely grieve over every life lost in the mountains.

If you are already in the UK, please consider contacting the Samaritans https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/contact-samaritan/ They are a free to call/contact volunteer group who will listen to you without judgement and try to help you.

You're young and I am sure that there is a path to contentment and happiness for you, it's just not perhaps going to be as simple to navigate as in your initial plan.

Please understand, those of us commenting on your proposals are NOT criticising YOU- they are looking at the practicality of your initial PLAN because we would all like things to work out for you.

Finally- there's plenty of people in rural areas live to a ripe old age in UK. But in a rural area, you will not get by in the cash economy unless you are local and trusted- or being exploited in modern-day slavery, which is an issue in UK.

Please consider working in your profession and using your free time to find your happiness in Scotland- safely. You can be alone safely and you can also live a life with minimal human contact without going to the extreme of the Scottish moors (many of us manage it even in towns.....). Good internet connections enable living safely and well in rural locations these days, and your profession should be one for which remote working is ideal.

Toddy has made a good suggestion about hosts, and there's also some Permaculture farms that you can work with as a volunteer. They are often quite "alternative" and welcome fellow souls.

GC

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You sound like you are running away from something and if you are not careful you will bring your troubles with you.

I have read theres lots vanish in the US, and it doesnt seem to matter, but fortunately or unfortunately, it does here. Dont try it.

(Dont throw yourself in front of a train because my Engine driver friend will not be happy).

(Dont go thinking you can get away with things because you are white; this is not the US here).

We are looking for volunteers at the Scottish Crannog Centre; we need to build a Crannog. Many of us are Autistic (But that doesnt mean we let anyone get away with non functionalising; we are here to learn to become functional in a supportive environment).

Why not write them an application in Gaelic??

The Scottish Crannog Centre
Dalerb
Kenmore
Aberfeldy
Perth & Kinross
PH15 2NX

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE