Dehydrator - "Urban Bushcraft"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Y'all,

I'm sure you've all seen the cardboard box dehydrator (if not, try http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/dehydratorstryder.htm). Well, I had an old Ikea bookcase that was destined for the tip as it had collapsed a bit, so I thought I'd have a go at making something equally cheap but a little more permanent - so here is my dehydrator for £5.77 (for 2 batten light fittings and a switch - everything else I had lying around.)

IMG_5229.sized.jpg

The door is held in place by 3 L-shaped brackets, so can be slid up a little to let the air in, and lifted a few more inches to take off completely to the left. The lid is under 4 similar brackets, so can also be slid back a little to allow the air out and regulate temperature.

IMG_5232.sized.jpg

Inside is lined with foil (held in place with good old gaffer tape), and a sloping foil "baffle" encourages the warm air to the back as well as shielding the produce trays from getting too hot from direct infra-red heating.
There are copper wires threaded back and forth through small holes to form supports for the foil trays I am drying things on.

Initially I only had a partial foil lining, but the un-lined parts were getting a bit warm to the touch outside, so I extended the lining throughout to reduce heat loss.

IMG_5234.sized.jpg

So here are some results - dried pears and kiwi.

"Urban bushcraft" in the sense that this is found materials to make something useful, and every time I go to the supermarket I look for going-out-of-date fruit to buy and dry at bargain prices. So far I've done apples (rings and leather), pears, and kiwis. All excellent as I love dried fruit. The kiwi particularly surprises people as it is tangy and delicious.

I'm currently thinking of adding an old computer fan in the bottom to increase air flow - another interesting (and free) experiment.

Amazing what fun you can have with two 100W lightbulbs. I'll try to bring some samples to the North West meet on Saturday - providing there are any left after my 3 year old has had "More apple Daddy!"

Now - I think I have some overripe bananas to slice up...

Ben

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice one :)

Mine is permanantly on the go.
When you've peeled the pears, crush the peelings, cores, etc., and rub through a sieve. The rough stuff gets trapped but the good stuff goes through. The resultant juicy pulp can be simmered gently until it thickens then spread out thinly and dried to make brilliant fruit leather :D
Kind of treacly and totally excellent. :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Wow, it's a really great project Happybunny ! :You_Rock_

Doing a lot with little, that's what I'm talking about ! :cool:

How long can you preserve the fruits once they are dried up ? And also, do you store (providing that they can be stored long enough before consumption :rolleyes: ) them in the freezer or simply in a dry/dark location ?

Thanks for the info !

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Months/ years if you can leave them alone :eek: They're kind of moreish :rolleyes:

Jam jars work fine. Anything that would keep cereal dry will do fine.

cheers,
Toddy

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
sounds a great idea - what sort of heat are you aiming for? - I would think 200watts would chuck out quite a bit!

also how long does it take?

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Toddy said:
Months/ years if you can leave them alone :eek: They're kind of moreish :rolleyes:

Jam jars work fine. Anything that would keep cereal dry will do fine.

cheers,
Toddy

Ahhh, that's really good to know, thanks Toddy !

Another question came to my mind, how do you recognize the correct degree of "dryness" if I may say so :)

Cheers,

EDIT : Oh my oh my !!! post 99 !!! anything special at 100 ? :p

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's personal taste once you get past a certain point.....you really need to try it and see.
Basically if you leave things soggy they'll rot, but they don't need to be *cooked* or *toasted*, just dried.
HWMBLT likes his apples as crack hard as crisps; while I like pears and the like a bitty chewy.
Meats I was fussy over and really dried them out to leather.

Jerkymeister posted some excellent advice.....need to see if we can find it again.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE