Dehydrator Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend a good budget food dehydrator (£100 or less) that will work for both fruit/veg and meat.

I have been doing a bit of online research but it seems most in this price range are only good for fruit and veg which i will be dehydrating as trail food but would also like to make biltong/jerky style things as well as possible whole dehydrated meals.

Does anyone know of a product that fits this criteria or am i going to have to bite the bullet and invest a bit more for what i want?

Cheers, Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Try this one http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/hou...ation/dehydrating_/193811-food_dehydrator.htm

I use the exact same one for making everything from jerky and fruit leathers to dehydrating complete rice and pasta dishes for use when out and about, works a treat and the capacity is spot on with 5 trays

Cheers Kepis, just what i have been looking for.

Daft question, mainly through my lack of knowledge on the subject, but is 75 degrees sufficient for drying meat as all the dehydrators specifically for doing this seem to go to around double the temp?
Is this just a speed thing where it just takes longer to fully remove the moisture?

Cheers, Hamster

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex

Daft question, mainly through my lack of knowledge on the subject, but is 75 degrees sufficient for drying meat as all the dehydrators specifically for doing this seem to go to around double the temp?
Is this just a speed thing where it just takes longer to fully remove the moisture?

Cheers, Hamster

Ive used mine for making jerky and it does fine, ive also dehydrated mince and pasta dishes without a problem, just takes a little longer to do, all i do is let it run overnight and come morning it's normally done to perfection.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've a couple of those, they work very well, one is about six years old now. Get a timer plug/socket so you don't have to be around to turn it off.

chutes

Banned
May 6, 2012
Australia
Try this one http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/hou...ation/dehydrating_/193811-food_dehydrator.htm

I use the exact same one for making everything from jerky and fruit leathers to dehydrating complete rice and pasta dishes for use when out and about, works a treat and the capacity is spot on with 5 trays

Similar configuration to mine (bought and used in Oz). Mine's done everything from fruit leather to roo jerky to Mexican salsa.

Be aware that you don't NEED a dehydrator to dehydrate your own food. Everything I've done in my dehydrator I've done in the domestic oven in the kitchen so chances are you already have a very effective dehydrator in your kitchen. The oven uses less energy than a dehydrator (which is like a hair drier running on low for 8-12 hours at a time) and I reckon the food tastes better - Beef jerky especially.

To use, simply stack your food to be dried onto oven racks placed over oven pans, set the oven to a low setting (80-90 deg C works well), crack the oven door open an inch or so to allow the vital air circulation, then chock the door open with a wooden spoon or similar.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Cheers, Hamster

If you've a mind too, you can actually dry meat with a fan and NO heat. It's better done in cold than heat. Just sandwich the salted and seasoned meat strips (jerky) between two paper filters (the type used on furnace or ac intakes) and bungie them to a box fan for 24 hours. It will smell the room up though so it's best done in the garage.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Cheers guys, I now how one of these winging its way to me in the post.

I may experiment with using the oven at some point but for now im taking the easy option, plus it means i get a new bit of kit. :D

Any tips on preparing meat for drying as this will be the first time i have attempted it? I tend to prefer biltong over jerky as i find it has less seasoning added and tastes more natural. Any other meats apart from beef anyone can recommend that come out well when dehydrated?

Cheers, Hamster

chutes

Banned
May 6, 2012
Australia
If you don't like your jerky seasoned/spiced, then just add a bit of salt to taste, then chuck it in the dehydrator for 6-8 hours. It's done when it bends without all the fibres breaking.

Venison and kangaroo make great jerky. You can do minced meat. Bacon doesn't come out so well, veal and pork go rancid, but lamb/mutton will be OK so long as you pat it down with kitchen towel every hour to remove the grease and when it's done you keep it in the freezer.

Good luck, mate and be sure to post your results ;)

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Right so now I have the dehydrator ordered I have been doing a bit more research online and there seems to be conflicting views on the best and safest way of drying beef.

Can anyone with a bit more experience than myself at this tell me if I need to cook/part cook the beef first?

My original plan was to knock up a mix of salt, pepper and maybe some dried garlic and chilli to coat the sliced raw been and then just pop it in to dehydrate.
I presume this is safe to do as there are several resources stating just this method and the dehydrator is the one show in the links so will be kicking out about 70 degrees.
My only worry is a few websites have noted this will not stop any nasties, ecoli, salmonella etc...

Also does anyone have any unusual recipes for dried beef or any other unusual meats that dehydrate well?

Cheers, Hamster

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
I remember my grandads old home made dryer from a dried milk tin (MOD catering size tin) with holes in the bottom and the lid and a stack of home made mesh trays with legs the whole lot was powered by a light bulb. before we all had freezers that was the way he used to save loads of the produce from his garden

chutes

Banned
May 6, 2012
Australia
Right so now I have the dehydrator ordered I have been doing a bit more research online and there seems to be conflicting views on the best and safest way of drying beef.

Can anyone with a bit more experience than myself at this tell me if I need to cook/part cook the beef first?

My original plan was to knock up a mix of salt, pepper and maybe some dried garlic and chilli to coat the sliced raw been and then just pop it in to dehydrate.
I presume this is safe to do as there are several resources stating just this method and the dehydrator is the one show in the links so will be kicking out about 70 degrees.
My only worry is a few websites have noted this will not stop any nasties, ecoli, salmonella etc...

If you're worried about making a mouth-watering beef jerky with a salmonella glaze, then you have a couple of options -

1. Chuck your sliced and spiced meat strips into boiling water for 5 minutes
2. Chuck the finished jerky into an oven for 10 minutes

Since our paleolithic ancestors didn't all die from the jerky they relied upon as an emergency food for milennia, it's a pretty safe process. Take care of cleanliness and hygeine during preparation and the rest of the process will take care of itself.

Some more safety info - http://www.foodsafety.wisc.edu/assets/pdf_Files/Making_Safe Jerky_in_a Home_Dehydrator3.pdf

Also does anyone have any unusual recipes for dried beef or any other unusual meats that dehydrate well?

I guess the most unusual recipe I can think of for dried beef would be a jerky margarita.

Ingredients:

1/2 lime, halved
45ml Tequila
30ml Cointreau (triple sec)
45ml lime juice
1/4 cup dried minced beef

Method:

Wet rim of glass with a piece of lime, then dip into salt to give a salt rim.
Fill a cocktail shaker 2/3 full of ice, then add the dried beef, alcohol and lime juice, shake, then strain into the prepared glass.
Serve with an extra wedge of lime and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.

I remember my grandads old home made dryer from a dried milk tin (MOD catering size tin) with holes in the bottom and the lid and a stack of home made mesh trays with legs the whole lot was powered by a light bulb. before we all had freezers that was the way he used to save loads of the produce from his garden

Nice one Colin. Love the old time driers.

Here's a link showing another bulb-powered drier - http://www.k-clements.fsnet.co.uk/dehydrator.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE