Deer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
This is my first attempt at using Photoshop to alter a picture. All comments/constructive criticism welcome.

Original pic (cropped):
2960956133_811952bc1f.jpg

Edited pic:
2960982859_cf97bb3b7b.jpg

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
First of all, great photo. I thought the shopped version looked a little artificial - too green in the grass. It's possible it's my monitor though - I think all monitors display colours differently.

I had a quick bash myself, and this looks better to me.

deer.jpg

Increased the brightness a little, the contrast a touch and knocked the green down in colour balance a smidgen!

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
There are various ways of doing everything in photoshop. I'm still at a fairly basic level, so am not well up on masks etc. I find a quick way to highlight an area like the antlers is to copy the image onto a new layer, lighten the whole layer to the level you want, then erase the bits of the bright layer you don't want, revealing the layer below. You can do it roughly first then use a small eraser or marquee to get detail. hth.

There are various ways of doing everything in photoshop. I'm still at a fairly basic level, so am not well up on masks etc. I find a quick way to highlight an area like the antlers is to copy the image onto a new layer, lighten the whole layer to the level you want, then erase the bits of the bright layer you don't want, revealing the layer below. You can do it roughly first then use a small eraser or marquee to get detail. hth.

Thanks Scanker. I've tried that on a test pic a while ago using Photoshop Elements, but it was really obvious around the edges, a bit like a kid doing the colouring-in and not staying within the lines. I'm using a laptop with a mousepad, which makes it a bit difficult.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Thanks Scanker. I've tried that on a test pic a while ago using Photoshop Elements, but it was really obvious around the edges, a bit like a kid doing the colouring-in and not staying within the lines. I'm using a laptop with a mousepad, which makes it a bit difficult.
I’d suggest using a ‘brush’ with a softer edge, change the opacity and the fill, so the effect is less harsh.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It would be good to see the image somewhere between what you did first womble and what Neil did to it.

I like the brightness and vibrancy but it does look a tiny bit too vivid. It does pick out the detail more though.

Great stuff

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Here's another bash. I lightened up the antlers using the method I described, also added a black border as sometimes it can help frame the photo:

deer2.jpg

PS I hope it's alright to fiddle with your photo - I never asked permission. :sad6:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
To brighten up selective parts, there are several ways of doing it. Try using the Dodge tool with a soft edged brush, set the range to Highlights with an opacity of about 12-15% and simply paint over the areas you want to brighten up.

Alternatively use the lasso tool, make a rough selection around the part you want to lighten, then go to select>refine edge. Set feather to about 40 pixels and OK. The go to image>adjustment>levels and move the left hand slider slightly to the right and the middle (gamma) slider slightly to the right or left depending on the effect you want.

Looky here for a tutorial http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=F2h-SYH-2N8

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That's amazing! I've got to learn how to do this, I hear The Gimp is a free version of Photoshop, I can't afford an expensive program to play ATM. Is the Gimp worth a try?

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE