Deer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well after finally managing to drag myself out of bed this morning , I thought that I would have a little play with tracking and find some of the deer that I have been watching. Anyway walking up a footpath not 50m from the main road I spooked a deer that was in the long grass.
Now I don't normally look in this field as its private land that is fenced in with sheep and cows in the enclosure. Now two points one I forgot how high deer can jump(!) but secondly this was a fallow deer on its own. Now I am new to all this mlarky but this is the first time I have seen deer on their own is this unusual or have I just not seen it b4?
I suppose it could be argued that there could have been more deer hiding but usually I find they will bolt together or quickly in succession.
Another question on this topic I have seen deer 'nesting' in a site that in summer has 4ft bracken and therefore excellent cover for them, obviously this had died right back to 1ft or less so thinking they may not use this site now? Will they just head for the thickest undergrowth? Do they use the same spots for sleeping or just randomly choose?
Ta Dave

Jan 22, 2006
uk
in my experience they do change the spot where they've been lying up during the day, in pretty much the way we would - some are obviously favorites and are used more than others, but they like change as we do and can equally be spontaneous. This is all in the context of a deers territory and following the path of food etc.
They're great animals to track, the angle at which they rip the young leaves of pointing the direction of general travel etc. Beautiful to watch also. If you can settle somewhere you think they might appear then get comfy (as in not moving for 2hrs comfy) or sleep over if poss - they sometimes totally relax when they see you arent a threat and will happily stay around, even with their young. Fallow especially. Good luck!

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks great tips. I find if I haul up early or overnight cover my face with a scrim scarf I can watch without bothering them. I find it difficult to get close when light.
Heard a great din from a partridge the other day snook round the corner to see a fox sneaking off.....9.15am never seen a fox before (alive) twas great!
Ta dave

Jan 22, 2006
uk
sneaking up on them in woodland is very hard, nigh on impossible if you get it wrong the first time i bet, once they're aware you're around. Cant say as i've ever done it on purpose.
Easier to do as you say and wait for them at a good exit point of a wood etc. Its one of those things, that if you dont mind putting in the time to study when and where they frequent (and dont behave like a predator) they'll be easy enough to observe exhibiting normal behaviour as often as you want to see them.
out in the open isnt so bad, again, the key is to take time. I've found with most animals that after a while they understand you aren't a predator (keeping off meat for as long as poss - eating benign porridge etc) so you smell like a veggie really helps.

look out for 'shooting seats' on the edge of woodland, i.e wooden chairs built up into the branches.
it means someone's already done the work of finding out the natural paths out of the woods. Just be silent when the deer do appear, i've no evidence that they get spooked and are upset by being watched - but i'm sure they must do. Plus it makes it harder to spot them again in the same place. shooting seats are fantastic things, repair them quietly at a time you wouldnt normally go there - midday perhaps- if they need it, try to keep their presence hidden though...dont tell anyone where they are ;)

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
i saw a few deer myself the other day 3 maybe 4 they werent to bothered as they where on the opposite side of the river to me.although the wind was in my face so they mustnt have smelt me coming.i see quite a few deer but foxes are a rarer sight,unless u drive around manchester in the middle of the night

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
I was driving up to portland the other day and saw a herd of Sika in the woods beside the road. A couple of nice stags as well, one young one and a massive one with huge antlers. they didn't seem to mind the cars driving past, but didn't like it when I stopped and started gawping !

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
The one group of deer that I watch if I keep a fair distance dont worry about me at all.
I first found them when walking one lunchtime they know I am about but are not bothered I guess due to the distance. I like to do a bit of tracking for them but unfortunately rarely spot them before they bolt.
Great to see the fox the other day first (I think I said) I've seen. Funny really he dove in to a bush and quickly behind him was a partridge,right on his tail!!!! Do you think it had a death wish?!?!
Thanks Dave

Jembly/Sloth

Dec 6, 2007
Appledore, Kent
Okay, not an expert or even realy knowledgable but ahve been out with a deerstalker a couple of times. As mentioned lurking near/under/in shooting 'high-seats' is a good idea these are set up on trails or well used routes - you hope :lmao: .

I think in terms of where to find deer, it'll depend on weather conditions, Season and wind direction. Some sites will obviously be more protective with the wind in certain directions when considering field of veiw as well, deer will find a spot that is a hard as possible to creep up on. Seasonal change willmainly be diet related at a guess and will possibly have no affect at all in a bountoues environment. Weather conditions will have obvious affects. The best thing I've heard of doing is drawing a map up and recording waether condtions each time you head out and where you come across deer, any other possible influencing factors could also be recorded. Overtime I'd guess you'd see some patterns emerging, otherwise how can Ghillies alwasy seem to tell you almost exactly where deer will be on a given day. This requires a fair amount of effort and regular observation but you do become more 'one with your environment' and (for me at least) it has a purely scientific interest.
Hope this is of interest/use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE