Deer through a misty mornning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

M@rk

Forager
Aug 31, 2005
Purley, (south London) Surrey
I'm thinking of going down to the New forest this weekend with a hope of seeing deer and was hoping that someone could give me a pointer as to location. :)

We was down there in august and found a lovely lawn called Tantany wood (SU 36495 03758) when dusk arrived deer started to come out to graze on the grass some in herds and some individually. It was great to watch them like this not just a fleeting sighting as they go bounding through the undergrowth. This time we’re going out before first light to see some on a damp misty morning. :D

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
There is a deer park marked on the map i think by boulderwood carpark normally weekdays when the kids are at school its pretty quiet there might be worth a try.
louis

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
For a sure fire natural sighting go to Markway Bridge on the A35 grid ref 250 039 and park inthe gravel layby on either side of the road.

If you look on the east side of the bridge you will normally always find horses grazing around the river and you will also notice that some of the 'horses' are in fact deer. Lots of them to be exact... You can walk around them if you keep your distance to the top of the hill behind them then use the gorse as cover to get closer if you wish. This side is best for evening sightings.

If you go on the west side, then follow the edge of the Burley Old Inclosure and you should quickly pick up the hoof prints. Anytime from dawn till 10 or so, you should easily find deer here, although they are present throughout the day even in the busy summer period. You can easily stalk them and get quite close, I can usually get to 30 yds with little effort if you obey the rules. It's only when the dog can't take it any more that they bolt!! Even then, they're easy to track.

I can more or less guarantee you'll get close in this region. Incidentally, if you drive on the road from Cadnam (motorway turn off) to Lyndhurst, you will pass a clearing on the right (west) at grid 294 132 (I think) you can often see them lying down in the sun!

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
wolf said:
may i ask why you are shooting them,is it for culling?

Yes I shoot as part of an organised cull, if the shooting of deer is carried out properly it should be done to a cull plan and as humanly as possable, I only shoot what Ineed for my own needs and i'm trying to use as much of the animal as possable, ie meat, brains for tanning, hide ,sinew etc.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
These Fallow were seen at grid 3283 0813
fallowdeer5fn.jpg

I regularly use the New Forest and from experience if you move into any of the quieter wooded areas you will normally see a deer or two. As always it is just a case of moving quietly.

Last weekend we followed a heard of 6+ Fallow for some distance along the path at grid 3400 0931 just before last light.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Deer are plentiful at Ashridge (Near Dunstable) It's a managed population but they roam through the woods wild and free. We managed to get within about 40yds of a fantastic fallow stag a couple of weeks ago and hid there watching him for about 20 minutes. As they are in the "rut" at this time of year, the stags are in as good a condition as you are ever likely to see them.

They taste ruddy good too. ( ;) Did I say that? ;) )

M@rk

Forager
Aug 31, 2005
Purley, (south London) Surrey
Thanks again for all the pointers. After looking at some maps we decided on Markway Bridge. There was lots of deer in both the places and we were able to get quite close but didn’t make 30 yds. Spacemonkey :beerchug: we had a great couple of days even though the heavens ****** on us all Sunday. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE