Deer Rut

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi, anyone been out and seen the deer rut this year, most years i try to do so but this year i have been laid up with injury so unable to do so, if you have is it over now/still ongoing or late, might try to get out next week if up to it but might have missed it now. thanks.

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
Hi, anyone been out and seen the deer rut this year, most years i try to do so but this year i have been laid up with injury so unable to do so, if you have is it over now/still ongoing or late, might try to get out next week if up to it but might have missed it now. thanks.

It depends where you are.

The fallow rut didn't really happen for me in Kent/Sussex this year in terms of woods full of grunting bucks but I shot a old buck on Monday that had definitely been rutting by it's condition on the gralloch.

The reds are well and truly over on my patches.

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
July to August for a couple of weeks depending on the weather, can vary a surprising amount depending on where you are in the UK.

Beautiful deer and rather inquisitive as far as deer go.

If you are walking in the woods and you bump one, go straight down on a knee behind some cover if you can manage it.

Roe will usually run to the next significant obstacle and stop broadside to have a better look at you. If you want to get a good look or a photo at them find a patch of grassy land surrounded as much as possible by trees, get to a place where your wind isn't blowing into the field or wood where they're coming from and wait out last light.

During the rut you will see them out at other times, the bucks hang their tongues out of their mouth and trot in a characteristic gait.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE