deer rut

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
woke early this morning after a busy weekend and decided to see if the rut was underway. I only recently heard about a local population of red deer on a very isolated part of the moors not far from Sheffield. After wandering around for an hour or so I heard my first stag roaring and set off in the direction of some birch woodland. I had to cross a large expanse of blanket bog with lots of pools and sphagnum, got very wet and peaty. It was worth it though as over the next hour and half I was treated to close views of several stags in full horny mode roaring away. The only downside was having got my slr and 300mm lens out I left it at home so no pickies, I'll have to go out again. It was followed by a stunning clear sunrise before the drizzle started on the way home.

Is the rut underway in your area?

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
no roaring yet but i found stamping grounds for red and a deer foot print that was bigger than my hand blimey i thought maybe its a hummel.

Joe

Need to contact Admin...
Watched a large red stag getting a bit agitated with the other two young males in the herd yesterday, posturing and continually chasing them away. He didn't seem too impressed with being watched by me and Glenn either. At one point we were looking around for a handy tree to climb but I think it was all bluff and bluster. This was near Scoriton on the edge of Dartmoor. No actual roaring yet though.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Heard the first Sika 'whistling' today out on the heath so the Sika rut is underway down here.

Bob:)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Went out again last week and remembered the camera this time, I took a friend out who was staying with us and as we were walking in to the site I realised some of the deer were out on the moor to our left. We sat with out backs to a stone wall and they came quite close. Here they are. They were downwind and suspicious but could not see us, the stag kept prancing up and down and posturing like a youth outside the nightclub. We watched them for 20 minutes or so before they headed off across the moor.

IMG_6399.jpg

IMG_6416.jpg

IMG_6421.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE