deer pic heavyish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Had a great walk today, out at first light and look what I found!
img0352nx6.jpg

Sorry about the poor photo but it was really misty and I was quite a distance from it at the time.
img0361xu8.jpg

Is this deer scat found quite alot of droppings (scat whatever you call it) but this seemed different.
Some tracks
img0362ej0.jpg

Got really close to the deer but found that with all the fallen tree snapping twigs etc very difficult any tips on tracking or reference sites. I know a bit about wind direction carrying scent etc but any suggestions would be great.
D
Oh I am really only interested in shooting them with my camera as I always have plenty of butties with me! ;)

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
I would say they are bird droppings

Given time I could probably narrow it down a bit more but no doubt someone will beat me to it

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I love creeping up on deer! It will probably be a while until I get to do it again though :( I once moved parallel down a wood line to where I knew a deer was feeding. I moved stealthily through, I find putting my feet down on the outer edges and then rolling my foot flat tends to keep me quiet, plus I'm checking the floor for twigs and the like. Once I got within 10 metres of the edge of the wood, I got down on all fours and slowly crept forward.

After five minutes of cat like stalking, I made it to the edge of the wood, and there was the deer less than 10 metres away. The wind was in my face so the deer couldn't smell me, but it knew something was miss. It kept looking up and when it did I froze and waited for it to get back to eating its browse. It was a magical moment for me as they are my favourite animals, and I sat and watched the deer for a few minutes until it decided it was time to go and off it sprang.

When I went out to check where it had been eating, another deer sprang out of the edge of the woods, ran past me less than five metres away and sprang off into the woods. The area I was stalking in is like a strip of grass 10-15 metres wide in the middle of a wood, that goes along about 200 metres, it's just on the opposite side of the road from Belsen Work Camp from WWII. I often see red and roe deer down there.

I crept up on a little roe in the open once by sticking to the woodline and slowly moving along, trying to get a good picture for my four year old girl, Rachel. I told her to sit tight and wait for me with the kit, I could see her from where I was and there wasn't a soul to be seen. I kept a small clump of nettles that the deer was behind between us, when I stood upright I could just see it behind the nettles. It was the most exhausting thing I ever did, trying to walk slowly, stooped up inches from the floor whilst trying to make zero noise.

Suddenly, the deer was off, and when I turned around there was Rachel bimbling down the field without a care in the world, not really aware that she had spoiled all of my hard work. I didn't get a clear picture but I got a few crap ones!

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Didn't think it was deer crap as there was loads of it around and deer seems to be oval kind of like rabbit but larger?! Guesses on bird then? I thought all birds except birds of pray are ...... how do I put it ....looser than that!
Lost the deer in the woods crept up pretty close but they were so well camouflaged I snook up too quick, didn't see them and they bolted. All of them were does what is the crack with the staggs are they more loners until the does are in season?
Thanks Dave

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
The beast pictured centre looks like a fallow to my now less than youthful eye. But then I see what looks like three deer in the pic!

Cheers

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
tommy the cat said:
Didn't think it was deer crap as there was loads of it around and deer seems to be oval kind of like rabbit but larger?! Guesses on bird then? I thought all birds except birds of pray are ...... how do I put it ....looser than that!
Thanks Dave
It depends on the height it is dropped from :D . Given the amount and looking at the terrain I am going for Pheasant on the cr*p and now I can see better on my screen at home and see no cream bottom patches :D the deer are probably Fallow as Klench says which obviously makes the slot Fallow too although it looks like the boggy ground has impressed it quite deep causing the slot to slightly close in on itself hence my initial thoughts of Roe :rolleyes: (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :p )

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
You are probably right there Silverback as one of the pics I didn't print was of a pheasent not that far away from where I took the pic.
I would say there is nothing wrong with your eyesight mate as there is a least two beasts in that photo and I have blown that up to see that!!!!!! :You_Rock_
When I got close to them when they bolted I counted six.
I know that some of you may be a bit blasay about seeing deer but I have only seen deer once in the wild and to me it just was awesome. I feel honoured to see them on only my first early morning outing. :D

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
First and last light will be your best opportunities to see the deer and if you get in position with your camera about 30 minutes before dawn you stand a good chance of nabbing a good photo. Take note of the wind direction and make sure you are positioned downwind from the spot you consider most likely to see the deer. Fallow tend to be a migratory species, moving through an area as opposed to staying on as permenant residents like Roe or Muntjac so try and make the most of their visit before they move on :)

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Silverback yes the ground was well wet and boggy in places there are tracks everywhere in that area so Im hoping I will get to see them again when I'm allowed out to play! :lmao: thanks d

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
The droppings look like fallow. The slots are difficult as I cannot gauge size but they look slender so maybe fawn or doe, next time place an item like a knife or coin beside before you take a photo - then its easy to size.
I cannot really make out the deer but if they were roe you would notice the white rump patch - stands out like a sore thumb in winter.
If you are in an area where deer are used to seeing peolpe you can usually get good sightings by acting deliberate i.e. just strolling along, not creeping about. Its usually when you stop walking and act suspicious that the deer get twitchy.
If you are in a wild area you really need to pay constant attention to the ever changing wind direction, use hot breath or feel the chill on your cheek, childrens blowing bubbles are excellent as you learn how the wind swirls and eddies.
Move very slowly, move very quitely and be aware of wind direction - good luck.

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Klenchblaize said:
The beast pictured centre looks like a fallow to my now less than youthful eye. But then I see what looks like three deer in the pic!

Cheers

100% RIGHT! It is a fallow and the droppings are from a doe. The bucks droppings have a large indent on the blunt end if you like.
Well done to the chap taking the pic's.

John

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
:eek: So those droppings are Fallow Doe are they well I never! Thought they looked like bird droppings but after this was pointed out by a couple of folks I had another look at the photo and I can see the pellet formation now. Out of interest what is it about the droppings that identify them as doe and is the white substance urates? (this is what made me think of bird droppings)

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
I'm sorry, I'm only a beginner at this but are a does droppings really that different from the stag?

Tommy said there were deer droppings around so he knows what that looks like but says these looked different
Would the fact it was fresh make that much of a difference?
If there were six deer how many would be stags to make these stand out as different? I thought does went in herds and the stags went stag?

Forgive my ignorance I'm only a townie trying to learn

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Out again this morning 5.30am and managed to find the deer again.Took my buddy with me with his slr so hopefully will have some better shots when we get them developed. Funny though we were watching the male through binos and it suddenly occured to me that we could quite easily miss something to our sides as obviously we couldnt see to the sides with the binos........ takes the binos from my eyes only to see 6 deer walking past us! :lmao: Any hoo made for a good morning didnt see much else though really just a couple of buzzards and sheep.
All good stuff though D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE