Deep Jungle Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
MagiKelly said:
Hi Dan

Glad to see you found us here.

Looking at your kit I can't help but notice you do not have any magazines in this kit :wink:

:rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:

:wave: Hi. Good to see you too, John.

You mean like by bug-out-bag? :wink: I thought a little imprudent to shock my new friends with my perversions at this early stage. Besides, it was a little bit tongue in cheek. :nana:

Brian, sorry, that was a BB moderator reflex. :biggthump I'll be sure to let you know how things work out.

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
Hi Zed!

:wave:

If it is a military, tactical type course they may disaapprove of this suggestion because of the detectable smell, but I've always found that clouds of cigarette smoke keeps off mozzies quite effectively. Particularly the big clouds of the little hellspawn that you get after a rainburst on particularly hot and humid overcast days. In jungles in Thailand and Malaysia this seems to be much approved of by local guides, especially if you are generous in handing out your own supply! On an elephant trek in Northern Thailand I can honestly say that I would have gone insane with the incessant clouds of them it were not for clouds of Mr Camels finest wreathing my hooded head!

:eek:):

It's perhaps not very bushcrafty but it does work!

:biggthump

Danzo

Danzo said:
On an elephant trek in Northern Thailand I can honestly say that I would have gone insane with the incessant clouds of them it were not for clouds of Mr Camels finest wreathing my hooded head!

Hi Danzo!

:wave:

It's a herd of elephants, not a cloud. :wink:

BTW, don't smoke at the back end of the elephant if it's been on the beans.

ms3153l.jpg
JungleExplosion-BIG.JPG

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
ZDP-189 said:
.......BTW, don't smoke at the back end of the elephant if it's been on the beans.
:eek:): :rolmao:
Hi Zed !
Good to see you here. If you are going there is a guy in Manila that you should see for some very nice handle woods for knifemaking :naughty:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
ZDP-189 said:
Next, for some reason I couldn't pick up leech socks (I hope the lil' boogers don't like foot powder and 100% DEET spray). For that matter, I didn't find military foot powder either (What commercial alternatives would I find at the chemist's?).

This might be too late - in which case, how did it go?

To be honest, something like Myocil powder (from chemists) would be good if you found you were starting to get footrot but I was taught to use just normal unscented talcum powder if there were no fungal infections present and just keep the feet as dry as possible at night. The anti-fungicide powders would only be used if you started to get problems - it was something to do with the impact that anti-fungicidal powder has on perfectly good skin!

Can anyone confirm this as it's a while sice I've been in the bondu. Another thing which was useful was a good antibacterial soap. I think hygeine was the point that was hammered home to us more than just about anything else as it's so easy to pick up a life-threatening infection.

Other than that, less knives and more water carriers!!!

Mikey P said:
This might be too late - in which case, how did it go?

To be honest, something like Myocil powder (from chemists) would be good if you found you were starting to get footrot but I was taught to use just normal unscented talcum powder if there were no fungal infections present and just keep the feet as dry as possible at night. The anti-fungicide powders would only be used if you started to get problems - it was something to do with the impact that anti-fungicidal powder has on perfectly good skin!

Can anyone confirm this as it's a while sice I've been in the bondu. Another thing which was useful was a good antibacterial soap. I think hygeine was the point that was hammered home to us more than just about anything else as it's so easy to pick up a life-threatening infection.

Other than that, less knives and more water carriers!!!

I was due to travel last Thursday, but a work emergency of the highest order intervened. I will reschedule for early Jan.

I have a bar of antibacterial soap somewhere and the medicated talc I'm bringing isn't too nasty.

I also have a water filter and puritabs...

... but I can't do without my knives!

Well, after much ado, I have been and done the trip and posted a detailed review and survival guide, complete with several illustrations on the British Blades bushcraft forum.

Contents:
  • About this document
  • Acknowlegements
  • The JEST experience
  • Kit requirements
  • The bolo
  • Rope and bindings from the jungle
  • Bamboo
  • Techniques for cutting bamboo
  • Bamboo shelter
  • Bamboo water container
  • Gathering water
  • Bamboo fire saw
  • Bamboo rice steamer
  • Bamboo water boiler
  • Bamboo spoon
  • Flora and fauna (many kinds, for food and medicine)
  • Latrines
  • Links
  • Disclaimer

There's a lot there that might interest you guys. Check it out:

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8002

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE