Decisions, decisions...

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I'm being a right tart and I just can't make up my mind.
I've decided to get a new rucksack. Specifically, either a Highlander Forces 66, or a Forces 88. The reasons for choosing this is twofold: cost and local availability.
But I can't decide which to get.
Part of me wants to go the 66 route. Because I like to travel light and it forces you to not take things you don't need.
But the realist in me acknowledges that the extra room of an 88 will mean I can fit all the stuff I can get in a 66 but with a bit more room which means I won't have to cram it all in. And I may be able to take one or two luxuries that make inclement weather camping that bit more tolerable. Even if the vain part of me likes the thought of a smaller pack.
So, what should I do? Which would you buy? I need to be convinced one way or the other before I go and buy it tomorrow. I want the sensible side of me to hold sway, and buy the 88, or else I know I'll get a 66 out of vanity and then just curse myself when I can't get everything in it I want to. I don't like carrying too much, though.
See my dilemma? With an 88 I can also take my big, fancy, Gucci camera as well...Oh, sod and bugger!

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Do you want it for walking or for getting to the campsite. For walking go lighter and smaller. For short walks to the campsite- <10 miles bigger is better, but remember you've got to carry it!

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I have a Forces 55 and 99. I use the 99 all the time, but haven't managed to get all I need in the 55, so haven't used it yet. I do need to be a bit more ruthless in kit selection I guess, which is why I've kept the 55. I will use it eventually. Go for the 88.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
i dont know what highlanders ar like, but if its got compression straps, and you can tighten the lid down past a fixed point at the top, then you can easily turn an 88 into a 66, but to do it the other way means strapping stuff to the outside, and then your vanity is well shot lol

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Righty-O. I think I'm going for the 66L one. Maybe.
Mind you, I've just seen the Snugpak Rockpak (at 70L). Has anyone got one of these (or a Highlander 66) and can give a quick review - is it worth the money? Which would you go for, out of the two?
I suppose it's also a style things as well. Although a similar capacity, they are completely different styles - the Highlander is a long thin pack, and the Snugpak one is a wide and shallow. Which, and why, do you prefer out of these two styles?
Cheers for your advice.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I have a snugpak rocket pack and find it to be an excellent pack ,well made waterproof ,light and has plenty of room.So why do I never use it? I'm 6'4" and the damn thing is only available in short back, if it fitted I would use it all the time as it's plenty big enough,just to short in the back for me.
If you look in the review section there is a good reveiw there.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I bought the Highlander 66.
It's massive. As soon as I saw it up close and personal I knew the Forces 88 would be totally unnecessarily big (what on earth do people who use sacks of such a size put in them!?). Ditto the Snugpak Rocketpak. I did prefer the darker green colour of the Snugpak (a trivial point, I confess, but still...)
What I didn't say when I started this thread is that my normal (Summer) bag is about 50L. Therefore, going up to 66L is positively decadent. 88L would be totally pointless since I don't HAVE 88L worth of kit. I have all my stuff (including winter bits) in the 66L and there's still 1/4 of the space left over (which'll be about right for some booze).
Never really thought of myself as a 'lightweight' camper (an inflatable mattress forms part of my 'essential' kit), but I suppose I may be. Well, more 'middle weight'.
Anyway. REALLY pleased with the Forces 66 and know I made the right decision. Shame it's not a slightly darker green...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE