Decent "Wild Foods" fieldbook

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
I've just got myself two little books "Wild Food" by Roger Phillips and "Food for Free" by Richard Mabey.

Although one of them is excellent (Food for free) and the other totally useless, they are both rather large. Does anyone know if there are any smaller guides which focus more on the in-field identification of the plant - preferably Ray Mears "Bushcraft" sized, or similar?

FYI - Wild food is going begging, so if anyone wants a copy PM me - but you will have to provide a stamped addressed envelope... (it's good, but only if you are looking for a wild-food cook-book, instead of an ID book)

Thanks,

Agile

Reactions: maverix

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I am surprised.....I think wild food by Rodger Phillips is a superb book, with some great recepes in it. What makes you say, it is totally useless...?

Reactions: janiepopps

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Jon Pickett said:
I am surprised.....I think wild food by Rodger Phillips is a superb book, with some great recepes in it. What makes you say, it is totally useless...?

I have to agree with Jon, I think it's a wonderful book with some great photos and information and cooking ideas. I think it's supposed to be a guide to what you can do with wild foods rather than an Identification book so used in conjunction with a good ID field book they work well. Maybe some one will bring out a wild food guide book and suggestions for how to use the plant/tree........... and on the opposite page do an ID guide to that plant/tree, so making a double page spread for each plant. That would be a good book.

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
I use one of the many "Wild plant reference guides" to ID a plant, then something like Richard Mabey book to see if its edible. :)

I to have Roger Phillips book and all though different to Mabey's still a worthy wild plant book. :)

stuartmac5 said:
Collins gem do a version of 'food for free' by Richard maybey, which is tiny and you can take it out with you in your pocket, its about a fiver

yep they do :D
Baby1.gif

very pocket sized
just my daughter needs bigger pockets :D

stuartmac5

Oct 14, 2006
southampton, uk
Geez Fygt,

Was you daughter born tonight? she is so wee :)
That book fits in my pocket!
Lovely girl by the way, you must be proud :)

She is getting a good head start, reading stuff like that :lmao:

stuartmac5 said:
Geez Fygt,

Was you daughter born tonight? she is so wee :)
That book fits in my pocket!
Lovely girl by the way, you must be proud :)

She is getting a good head start, reading stuff like that :lmao:

that was the morning after she was born 11 days ago But just got ther home today :eek: due to a blood problem 7lbs 3oz and 21 1/4" long so not real tiny
allready making a 3/4 sized bushcraft knife for her ;)

stuartmac5

Oct 14, 2006
southampton, uk
hey Fgyt, I guess you will be posting at strange hours then from now on now you've got her home :)
reckon the knife you are making needs to be about 1/8 not 3/4. :)

Celberon

Dec 17, 2006
UK
Haha ... I love the juxtaposition! The last person needing to be told where to get food for free is a newborn baby!

Wonderful photograph, and a beautiful child.

congratstext.gif

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Agile said:
I've just got myself two little books "Wild Food" by Roger Phillips and "Food for Free" by Richard Mabey.

Although one of them is excellent (Food for free) and the other totally useless, they are both rather large. Does anyone know if there are any smaller guides which focus more on the in-field identification of the plant - preferably Ray Mears "Bushcraft" sized, or similar?

FYI - Wild food is going begging, so if anyone wants a copy PM me - but you will have to provide a stamped addressed envelope... (it's good, but only if you are looking for a wild-food cook-book, instead of an ID book)

Thanks,

Agile

I'm astonished that you describe Roger Phillips's Wild Food as "totally useless". It's a lovely book, IMO and does what it does very well. And while I share the same high opinion of Mabey's classic, that isn't anything particularly special for ID (my edition, any rate).
At a guess, I'd say that Roger Phillips has single-handedly helped more people in Britain identify trees, wild flowers, mushrooms, etc., etc., than just about all the other authors put together.

Burnt Ash

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I wouldn't say Mabeys book is useless but I must admit I was dissapointed with it.

I have just borrowed wild from the wild by ian burrows and I must say i'm more impressed wuith that than mablys. The only downside i sthet it is illustrated rather than photos but having said that the illustrations look like they will be better for identification than mableys photos

So far I havn't found a book that gives a good id guide and a good 'how to use' but It looks like Burrows may be the best book for me so far

......... just to throw another book into the equation! :eek:

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Well all - the book's now gone - sorry to any more takers.

I am sorry but I still stand by my word when it comes to "Wild Food". For what I need it for (i.e. ID'ing a plant and seeing if it's edible) it does not serve it's purpose. For cooking wild food together with commercially available produce, I am sure it is good.

I shall try and get a generic tree/plan guide for the UK in a pocket size then and cross reference it to the "Food for free" book - any recommendations?

Thanks - and sorry to all those "Wild Food" readers out there who I have enraged :)

Agile

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Agile said:
Well all - the book's now gone - sorry to any more takers.

I am sorry but I still stand by my word when it comes to "Wild Food". For what I need it for (i.e. ID'ing a plant and seeing if it's edible) it does not serve it's purpose. For cooking wild food together with commercially available produce, I am sure it is good.

I shall try and get a generic tree/plan guide for the UK in a pocket size then and cross reference it to the "Food for free" book - any recommendations?

Thanks - and sorry to all those "Wild Food" readers out there who I have enraged :)

Agile

It all depends on whether or not you're prepared to work at becoming a competent amateur botanist, or do you just want a quick n' easy layman's field guide?

For the former, the new revised and expanded edition of The Wild Flower Key, by Francis Rose (expanded and updated by Claire O'Reilly) Pub. Warne.

For an easy reference (segregated by flower colour) I keep a copy of Wild Flowers of Britain and Europe, by Lippert and Podlech, Collins Nature Guides, permanently in my bum bag. This is a reasonably handy-sized field guide.

In summer and autumn, I'll add a copy of Mushrooms (the Photographic Guide to Identify common and important Mushrooms) by Roger Phillips, Elm Tree Books ISBN 0-241-11811-5. Again, this is a pocket-sized field guide.

There may be more recent/better small field guides around, but the above two are both photographic, which tend to show plants/fungi in context where, often, paintings don't.

Roger Phillips's larger format photographic guides to Wild Flowers; Trees and Mushrooms (Pan Macmillan) are a bit too big to take along if you're just out for a walk. They are invaluable to have back on your bookshelf at home to confirm IDs or for more detailed information.

Burnt Ash

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
dandk do a good one herbs but it covers allsorts of plants and their uses/edibility
wild foods by roger phillips isnt a id book, its more of a what to do with thme when you found them, and all his books are very good,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE