Decent (low price) spotting scope...?

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Fancy picking up a spotting scope for a bit of bird (feathered) watching, but have no idea where to start?
Something compact with a decent objective, lenses and magnification would be ideal :)

Cheers, al.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Not too hot on this I'm afraid but a good place for bargains would be over on airgunbbs.com - or ebay.

Best of luck
Andy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Weirdly, Aldi do them now and again for about £25. Not the best optical quality in the world, but okay for the money. 20x-60x zoom, little tripod, 45 degree eyepiece and bag. I can easily use it to determine rifle shot position on paper at 100 yards (which is seeing a quarter inch hole against a black background). Doesn't work too well at 300 yards plus - but spottig .223 holes at 300 yards on a black target needs decent optics!

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I have used a Meade Kestrel for a few years, it has a 20-60x zoom and an 80mm front lens. It has good clear optics throughout the zoom range. Meade are famous for astronomical telescopes mainly, but the technology would be the same.They were apparently made in the same factory as the Nikon scopes, which are much more expensive.
I dont know if the model I have is still made, but I did find one of a similar spec on ebay this morning but with a 60mm front lens & includes tripod.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370505739757?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

There are loads of other spotting scopes on there as well used & new.

Another place to try could be:
http://www.scopesnskies.com/cat/spotting-scopes/bresser-spotting-scopes.html

Thats where I got mine from about 6 years ago.

It all depends on your balance of Decent / Low Price .
Hope that helps

Eifion

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I'll add my penneth to the Aldi scope as well. I picked one up for use on the range when out shooting and it has served me well for the price. If it's inexpensive but useable you are after then I'd definately reccommend it to you.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
So much available nowadays.

Compact wise, the Opticron MM2 would be hard to beat.

Check for reviews of scopes on www.birdforum.net

A lot of the expensive ones there but should have more affordable models too.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Thanks very much guys.. Looks like a big thumbs up for the Aldi version, but I'll look into the other recommendations too!

Cheers, al.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE