Decent bivvy shelter suggestions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I won a brand new Carinthia Explorer 2 plus on eBay last night for £185, I fancied the observer but it was beyond what I wanted to pay.

An actual one, or one made by them for the Dutch army? If the former, then that's a hardcore bargain for the brand.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
An actual one, or one made by them for the Dutch army? If the former, then that's a hardcore bargain for the brand.

It's a civvy version with branding etc. Couldn't believe it when I saw it, like i said I fancied the observer but couldn't pass it up at the price. It is of eBay though and someone's 'new' might be different to mine. I'll get it midweek so fingers crossed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332190726762?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
A real steal that Scoman. Nice job!

Could someone with access to one of these/knowledge on the dimensions, find out the lengths of these sections in green and red for the British milsurp bivi?

32014-img-20170422-170015-jpg

I can find the total length online, but not the length of the highlighted sections above. I ask as I'm wondering whether it might be possible to essentially use it upside down, using the hood as like a little top flap/mini awning?

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Many moons ago I bought some MVP fabric and modded an issue one into a hooped bivy. I sold it on this site years ago can't remember who to though. It was a bit of a pain though.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Miles off your spec Hugh, but with the double doors, the Vango Banshee 200 isn't too far off a hooped bivi. Ideal for one, space for rucksack and kit. I have one, it's really easy to pitch.

And the reviewer is somewhat easy on the eye. :)

[video=youtube_share;bNvZoMaAlLY]https://youtu.be/bNvZoMaAlLY[/video]

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Many moons ago I bought some MVP fabric and modded an issue one into a hooped bivy. I sold it on this site years ago can't remember who to though. It was a bit of a pain though.

How so? I've had some suggest that if you're going down the hooped bivi route, you may as well get a tent due to the similar weight and time taken to erect them. Not sure I agree, but having not tried them I can't say!

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Miles off your spec Hugh, but with the double doors, the Vango Banshee 200 isn't too far off a hooped bivi. Ideal for one, space for rucksack and kit. I have one, it's really easy to pitch.

And the reviewer is somewhat easy on the eye. :)

[video=youtube_share;bNvZoMaAlLY]https://youtu.be/bNvZoMaAlLY[/video]

Cheers Rich. It's tempting to go down the tent route, but then I'd get a three man rather than a small one like that, but for different situations. It's just me this time, and no vehicle, so keeping it light and compact is half the fun... (Until it rains and I'm having a midnight drown).

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
How so? I've had some suggest that if you're going down the hooped bivi route, you may as well get a tent due to the similar weight and time taken to erect them. Not sure I agree, but having not tried them I can't say!
I meant to say making it was a pain. My sewing skills were in an infancy then.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I meant to say making it was a pain. My sewing skills were in an infancy then.

Ah gotcha. Impressive you made it though!

I'm now sorted on this solo shelter as I've just purchased the Superlight Jungle Hammock and additional tarp cover as well as the Superlight Tarp.

I initially ordered the Superlight Hammock and Tarp, with the intention of then getting the Dutch milsurp bivi to use inside the hammock, or just standalone if no suitable supports around. But then looking at the weights and sizes of all the stuff, it made more sense (to me) to go for the Superlight Jungle system. Could that have worked, or would it be a real squeeze in the hammock with the Dutch bivi?

I decided against the DD Travel one as whilst you can use it straight on the ground due to its double waterproof ground sheet, you still have zero water protection from above so you always have to use a tarp. So it's not a bivi at all.

The Jungle has the ability to be used on the ground rather more properly as a two hooped bivi if you get the additional fitted tarp, but of course is designed to be a more fully sealable and water proof hammock, without the need for a separate tarp, and with an inbuilt but removable mozzie net. The standalone tarp will just be nice to have around.

I'll report back when they've arrived and I've had a crack at using the stuff. First time lucky...I hope!

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Aye Up Hugh,

Have you seen this? http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/content.php?r=691-DIY-Hex-Tarp

Only needs 6 pegs and one pole or could be hung from a tree.

With your man-packing in mind - I'm just measuring up for one in 2oz ripstop PU coated polyester which if my calcs are correct should come in at less than a kilo. :)

Thank you for alerting me to that article - a nice choice! I'll see how I get on with the DD 3x2.9 Superlight one - my first tarp - before going down the 'moar is moar' route.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Got the Carinthia explorer two I bought of eBay today. As described it looks brand new, the poles were still in their wrapping. Smelt a bit musty though. I set it up in the living room, and it seems fine. I think I'd still like the height of the Carinthia observer but it was a bargain.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Got the Carinthia explorer two I bought of eBay today. As described it looks brand new, the poles were still in their wrapping. Smelt a bit musty though. I set it up in the living room, and it seems fine. I think I'd still like the height of the Carinthia observer but it was a bargain.

Excellent news - always a bit of a gamble with eBay, even with their buyer protection. Should be lighter than the Dutch surplus version too.

I've a Carinthia-made Dutch milsurp Observer inbound which I may have splurged on...I bought the SL Jungle Hammock so I wouldn't need a bivi...but this one I just had to get given how scarce they are. I'll report when I've had a crack.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France

There's a Milsurp Carinthia Observer up on ebay at the moment, and in the UK: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252891519...99&_trkparms=gh1g=I252891519027.N36.S1.R2.TR5
No affiliation etc.

Slept out in mine the other night, toasty warm in 7C outside temp and the Dutch milsurp Defence 4 and liner. Gave up at 3am due to using an horrendous sleeping mat though! Insulated, but painfully uncomfortable. Need to retry with a different one that isn't ancient and awful.

Buck

Mar 25, 2013
Cambs
May be a non-Carinthia one, as they usually shout about it when it's made by them. Bit quieter when it's e.g. Fecsa!

Good to see there are lots of sources for the single hoop bivi/Explorer 2

Possibly but a quick such of the NSN showed a Carinthia bag.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
People overlook it, seems to fit your requirements spot on (OP).......£20 plus, Polish Lavvu, from Military Mart. Love it so much, I bought two!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE