Decathlon Tarps!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I got one of these tarps a few months back. Im not that happy with the way you have to tie it though. There are no loops along the top so you basicaly have to use the middle eyelets on opposite sides.

The size is good though 10ft by 10ft, and It comes with poles!!

Id love to improve it by adding loops all over the place, but I havent got a clue how to go about it.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Mine has a loop at the centre point.
Adding loops is easy.
1. get some tape,
2. make it into a loop,
3. sew it on.
4. seal the stitching with sealant (you can get it a camping shops)

Easy!
:D

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Mine has a loop at the centre point.
Adding loops is easy.
1. get some tape,
2. make it into a loop,
3. sew it on.
4. seal the stitching with sealant (you can get it a camping shops)

Easy!
:D

What if I want to put them along the top (middle ridge) so I can set the tarp up by simply sliding it along a line tied between two trees? Do I then sew the loop onto a square panel and then sew this panel onto the top surface of the tarp.

Wont the stetching lead to weak spots in the material and therefore cause rips?

Sorry for all the questions.
Stu

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
I bought one in France, looks like you would expect for 29 euro including the poles. It will only get used as a sun shelter but it will be interesting to see if it survives the ardeche this year as it get's kind of windy there.

I wasn't impressed with the eyelets though, one of them on my tarp wasn't done properly and had an edge so sharp it started to cut through the guy.

I was most miffed to see the RM super tarp in the woodlore shop 2 days after I bought this one :( Now my wife won't let me buy one.

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
I bought one in France, looks like you would expect for 29 euro including the poles. It will only get used as a sun shelter but it will be interesting to see if it survives the ardeche this year as it get's kind of windy there.

I wasn't impressed with the eyelets though, one of them on my tarp wasn't done properly and had an edge so sharp it started to cut through the guy.

I was most miffed to see the RM super tarp in the woodlore shop 2 days after I bought this one :( Now my wife won't let me buy one.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
used mine for the last 2 years and it's still going strong. I have since had to get another 2 for colleagues at work !!

I have to agree about there not being any loops across the ridge, but for £20 who's complaining.

My local store has got loads as well in both the grey and green colours.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
used mine for the last 2 years and it's still going strong. I have since had to get another 2 for colleagues at work !!

I have to agree about there not being any loops across the ridge, but for £20 who's complaining.

My local store has got loads as well in both the grey and green colours.

Mine seems to have stood upto some rain. Cant complain for the price but I think Ill go for a tatonka next. Id love to know what makes a tarp a "super tarp", and how the price can be justified.

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
Mine seems to have stood upto some rain. Cant complain for the price but I think Ill go for a tatonka next. Id love to know what makes a tarp a "super tarp", and how the price can be justified.

The super tarp is similar in price to other high end tarps not made in the East. The Hilleberg 3x3.5 is 115 euro and 169 for the light. The larger 4.5x4.5 is 289 in the light version.

I have the decathlon tarp, a hilleberg XP5 and a RM hootchie. There is a difference which is reflected in the price.

It's a case of horses for courses, you pays your money etc, etc... ;)

Zeph

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2009
Manchester
I just picked one of these up, I was going to buy a cheap builders type tarp off ebay, which would have come to nearly a tenner, but opted for the decathlon tarp,, so for the money it's great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE