death warmed up (tick bite)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
you mean like
"Ug Ug me like pointy things,me no lots" (where's the neanderthal smiley)
[on the macho nature of some posts on the board as noted in the previous post
So has 3 weeks let Jake recover? [just enquiring how he is ]
Is Lymer just an unfortunate coincidence? [not accusing of hoaxing hence the word coincidence ]
Did you go to the doctors?
What about the midge bites, can they contain the nasty micro what nots? [just 2 further queries about the bites ]

:sad6: sorry if I upset anyone, I've edited it to try and make it more obvious what I am referring to where, It was a bit too stream of consciousness :tongue-ti
(my additions in italics)

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
sam_acw said:
you mean like
"Ug Ug me like pointy things,me no lots" (where's the neanderthal smily)
So has 3 weeks let Jake recover?
Is Lymer just an unfortunate coincidence?
Did you go to the doctors?
What about the midge bites, can they contain the nasty micro what nots?
Sorry, I don't understand this. :confused:
Are you suggesting he is making it up because of his name? If so he should be banned.
Are you suggesting you asked after his welfare? I don't see the evidence in the thread.
I am dim sometimes, could you elaborate?

jake trg

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2005
Lancashire
Yes i'm fine now still got holes were i dug out the little b-------s, they dont really want to heal .i have been a member of this forum for a couple of years so if it is a hoax about my surname Lymer bloody elaborate one ,and to sam acw yes please explain what your getting at for an english teacher u do write some double dutch

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Something that might be worth remembering guys and girls is that LYmes ( borellia sp?) does not always show at once.

A good friend of ours was hospitalized for 3 weeks last year after suffering high fever, nusea, weakness in limbs etc.

She was last bitten by a tick when she was home .... 3 years ago. Since she has been living in Oslo where there are fewer ( they don't like living in houses for some reason..:))

The doctors proved lymes by a spinal fluid sample, and then said that in some people it can lay dormant for years before something triggers it. Stress, and generally being run down are often the main causes. Then it can hit you like a bolt from the blue.

With regard to tick bites, NO tick bite should have a re ring around it after 2 days of removing the tick. it is ooften worse if you are unfortunate enough to rip its head off. removing small ticks by hand is hard, disgusting as it is , it is better to let them feed for a day so they get a little ftter and easier to grasp.

We take ticks from the kids at least one day a week here, there are loads this year, We started doing this in February and expect the season to last until at least mid october.

sorry if i am teaching you to suck eggs!

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
i've read so many mixed messages regarding ticks - from 'don't pay any regard to them and just enjoy your trip' to 'make sure to you get vaccinated before you even travel'.

I'm going to sweden (from the UK) for two weeks in sept, what would you all recommend?

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
North Lancashire
Crime prevention in tick hotspots:
Long pants
Gaiters or tuck pants into socks.

Ticks hang on to the edge of leaves trying to catch onto passing things. They usually go for sheep/deer etc and tend to go to the correct height for those animals - so watch your legs!

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Toddy said:
Deepest sympathies; they can really make you feel so ill :(
If your temp is up to 102 it might be worth your while trying to get an appointment with the Doctor or the surgery nurse and see if she can recommend anything that might help.
At this time of year I feel as though I'm rattling with anti histamines and anti inflammatories, but the midge bites are really awful, the cleg ones are a nightmare. The ticks appear to have gone nuclear this summer, my friends are avoiding certain areas and walks because of them though no one I know has had Lyme disease.
atb,
Toddy

Any recomendations for specific anti histamines/inflam? I'm getting fed up of the blasted swelling and the last ones I tried didnt seem to do much.

Cheers

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
tetra_neon said:
i've read so many mixed messages regarding ticks - from 'don't pay any regard to them and just enjoy your trip' to 'make sure to you get vaccinated before you even travel'.

I'm going to sweden (from the UK) for two weeks in sept, what would you all recommend?
As davef says. Prevention is better than cure. Also use effective insect repellents.

Awareness of typical tick habitat, seasons and other diseases they may carry in different parts of the world.

Frequent body checking all over (especially the darker, hairer parts where they tend to head for) every evening. A mirror helps for self checks.

Then a purpose made tick remover and/or any of the recommended removal methods included on this post:

Tick Removal

I guess in Sweden a`t that time you also need to consider mossies and midges?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Prevention: Long sleeves, long trousers, treated with permethrin (great stuff), choose light colours, sand/khaki are good. The light colours will show up ticks better, and be a LOT less attractive to clegs, may be midges too. Tuck trouser cuffs into socks, and treat socks with repellent/permethrin too. If you have overhanging vegitation, wear a hat.

The above have worked for me in Kentucky against deer and dog ticks and chiggers, in the UK against ticks and chiggers, and in Norway against clegs (poor year for ticks).

It has been years since I had a tick bite, found a couple of little ones dying on my treated clothes a couple of years ago, but the clothing treatements work very well at keeping them off. I had a Lyme infected tick bite behind my knee when I was 10, it was in south eastern New York which is a very hot area for the disease and the reaction of the doctor was impressive. One day after the initial bite the tick was found, dead, in the middle of the classic red bull's eye rash, the doctor was called and on being told of the rash she faxed a perscription straight to the pharmacy, didn't waste time having me come in to the surgery. I was on penicillin within 35 minutes. Sadly I don't think that the UK doctors are quite so aware of tick borne illnesses.

Jake, I hope those bites heal soon! Sounds like you have had a rather miserable time of it.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
C_Claycomb said:
Prevention: Long sleeves, long trousers, treated with permethrin (great stuff), choose light colours, sand/khaki are good. The light colours will show up ticks better, and be a LOT less attractive to clegs, may be midges too. Tuck trouser cuffs into socks, and treat socks with repellent/permethrin too. If you have overhanging vegitation, wear a hat.
Yes, permethrin is very effective at controlling ticks and gives longer term protection than spray on insect repellents etc. What product do you use Chris? The one I have used is;

Sawyer Brand

Permethrin is a pyrethroid and is a synthetic chemical similar to the natural insecticide pyrethrum which comes from the chrysanthemum plant. It is not applied to the skin as it tends to irritate. It can also be applied to mossie nets, hammocks, tents etc.

You can also use other insect repellents such as the well known DEET, though these need regular re-application. The use of permethrin treated clothing and DEET applied to the exposed skin will give the highest level of protection.

For natural alternatives Citronella is well known but needs frequent applications to be effective (every hour is recommended). There is another option, first used in China in the 70's called quwenling or PMD which is a broad-spectrum repellent derived from the eucalyptus plant extending to ticks. It is sold as a product called;

Mosi-guard

Apparently it is almost as efficient as DEET.

There is an interesting study of it's efficiency specifically against ticks made in Sweden which can be found here;

Efficacy of Mosi-guard againts ticks.

There is a lot of detailed information on insect repellents and clothing treatments here;

SMI - Repellents and Cloth Treatments

There is also an excellent article on this subject produced by the WHO (World Health Organisation) which discusses clothing treatment and offers lots of useful info, here under the sexy title of;

Vector control: Methods for use by individuals and communities

The specific page can be found here (in PDF format);

WHO - CHAPTER 1 • MOSQUITOS AND OTHER BITING DIPTERA -Treated clothing

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Cheers for all that info, Great stuff :beerchug:

I have use the Permanone/Duranone brand in the US, but here in the UK I have only ever seen "Bug Proof" by Nomad Medical. I actually mix my own clothing treatment by diluting the concentrate sold for treating mosquito nets. The little bottles of pre-mix clothing treatment will do about one full set of clothes (treatment good for 2 weeks), but its a bit pricy to do it that way every time you go camping, or if you go for frequent walks.

Note: I am not recommending that you too mix your own. The proportions are a little tricky, the clothing treatement is 0.5%w/w and the concentrate is 11.02%w/w. (in 100ml, how many ml of 11.02% do you need to get 0.5% solution) I checked my calculations several times, as well as having them checked by a qualified chemist. I am comfortable that I have got it right, but if someone else wants to do it this way they need to do their own figuring.

I have also been playing recently with Prevent:
http://www.agropharm.co.uk/uk/product_view.asp?product_id=131
while I have read some negative comments, I have found this to work well on midges on a recent trip, and also to work well on clearing chiggers that have already got into clothing on camping trips. It can be applied to the skin, or clothes, and both repels and kills bugs.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
C_Claycomb said:
Cheers for all that info, Great stuff :beerchug:

I have use the Permanone/Duranone brand in the US, but here in the UK I have only ever seen "Bug Proof" by Nomad Medical. I actually mix my own clothing treatment by diluting the concentrate sold for treating mosquito nets. The little bottles of pre-mix clothing treatment will do about one full set of clothes (treatment good for 2 weeks), but its a bit pricy to do it that way every time you go camping, or if you go for frequent walks.

Note: I am not recommending that you too mix your own. The proportions are a little tricky, the clothing treatement is 0.5%w/w and the concentrate is 11.02%w/w. (in 100ml, how many ml of 11.02% do you need to get 0.5% solution) I checked my calculations several times, as well as having them checked by a qualified chemist. I am comfortable that I have got it right, but if someone else wants to do it this way they need to do their own figuring.

I have also been playing recently with Prevent:
http://www.agropharm.co.uk/uk/product_view.asp?product_id=131
while I have read some negative comments, I have found this to work well on midges on a recent trip, and also to work well on clearing chiggers that have already got into clothing on camping trips. It can be applied to the skin, or clothes, and both repels and kills bugs.
PreVent looks like a decent natural option, being Pyrethrin based. The only issue I can see with such products is how well the product works over longer periods after application. But as they are natural then perhaps more regular re-application is part of the ongoing regime.

ggfh666

Forager
Jan 16, 2006
belgium
users.pandora.be
Haven't encountered any ticks in Sweden yet.
But at home in Belgium beginning of every summer, daily cleaning of our cats using O'tom hook small and large.

In Sweden/Finland/Norway you'll have more problems with mosquitos and knots.
They go for your ankles and have no trouble getting through thick socks.

Those green spirals that create smoke are somewhat helping to keep them away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE