Dead wood standing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nichola

Jul 17, 2007
Hi. Could anyone tell me how to identify a tree thats dead, but still standing. I recently saw an episode of Ray Mears where he needed a tree that was 'dead wood standing', the tree he chopped down looked like any other tree. Also, in another episode he chose a fallen tree with new shoots growing off it. How can this tree be dead? Please help, i'm very confused!!! Nichola

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
Hi: There are dead trees standing and dead trees standing....If you are in a forest of pines or conifers where they are the predominant species, it is likely that the dead trees are of the same species as well. Likewise, if you are in a hardwood forest, the trees that are dead are likely of the hardwood variety as well.

Look at the shape of the dead tree. If there are other trees nearby, does the shape of the dead tree appear similar to that of the live ones? Look for bark that still remains on the trunk. Eventually all the bark will fall off and leave bare wood. Look at the base of the tree where the bark has fallen and try to determine what type it is.

Cut the dead tree and sniff the cut. If it is a conifer it will be immediately apparent as the odor of the resin remains in the dead wood.

If a tree is sprouting branches, it isn't dead. Many trees will fall over from winds or shifting soil and still remain alive, at least for awhile. Their trunks are on the ground but still remain attached to their roots and to the soil. Rarely, such a tree will send a new trunk up from the horizontal old trunk and continue to live a long life.

Hope this helps

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Standing dead wood is also vitally important for all sorts of woodland creatures, especially invertebrates and the creatures that feed on them. Think of the woodpecker for example. The timber industry, by and large, now has a policy of not felling trees that are dead when carrying out a clearfell. Apart from not having a commercial value it is recognised that dead trees are vital to the biodiversity of an area.:rolleyes:

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Hi Nichola, During Summer it's a pretty safe bet that any tree without any greenery or leaves on it is a dead one. In Winter it can be a little harder to tell the living from the dead at first glance, but a closer look will often reveal tiny buds or healthy looking green bark on the tips of a living tree. The ultimate test is to chip away a little of the bark on the tree. If the wood beneath the bark, or the inner bark itself is moist with sap, green and healthy looking then the tree is alive. Dead trees tend to have hard bark (if any) that is dry and hard all the way through to the good wood beneath. Always check ALL the way around a tree for signs of life as you will often come across trees that have an apparently dead side but are alive and kicking on the other side of the trunk, supporting a healthy canopy of leaves above. This can be caused by fungal infections, natural ageing, or even lightening strikes. As with so many aspects of bushcraft and woodskills, the best way to learn is to buddy up with someone who already "knows their oak from their ash" or to simply experiment all you can and learn by your own experience.

The fallen tree that Ray mears cut wood from was probably a willow. These often fall in the soft (wet) ground they like to grow in and take root again from the entire side of the trunk that's touching the ground. They throw up new shoots from all along the previously shoot-less trunk and form almost a natural hedge all on their own. Taking wood from sucha willow will do it very little, if any harm, as the tree will simply throw out new shoots to replace any you take away. If you want a piece of wood from a willow but it means cutting more than you need (perhaps you can't reach the bit you want without cutting it off lower down) take the limb off that contains the bit you want, then re-plant the excess by simply pushing the lower end of the sticks well down into the soft mud. Willow has amazing regenerative powers, and those little sticks will, 9 times out of 10, simply take root and grow into new trees as long as they are in damp enough soil.
I once replanted a whole stretch of riverbank this way after a temporary lorry road had been put through the area for gravel extraction. Once the road had been taken back up, I cut loads of willow "withies" (small sticks growing up from those fallen trunks) and stuck them in the soft marshy ground alongside the river. I am now able to walk amongst towering willows again where the gravel people would have left the riverbank bare and empty.

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
The storms back in the early spring took the top out of one of the local beech trees. In late spring some of the branches came into leaf even though the branches are lying on the ground completely disconnected from the tree. Most of the leaves have now died but some are still in leaf - I assume relying on whatever sap was in the larger parts of the branches.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
I most commonly collect standing dead wood for stove fuel. A single dead branch, just over a finger thick provides more than enough for cooking or a brew.

I look for a branch without leaves that looks "dead" often there are broken off twigs and the bark has fallen off on part or all of the branch. I bend the branch (just a little way) if it snaps off very easily then it's dead and I have my wood. If it doesn't and springs back I leave it be.

Scoops

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dead wood snaps and breaks,
Living wood splits and doesn't break easily.

There are some exceptions Elder refuses to die. No matter how eaten and dead it looks it is not ever dead and can grow leaves in quite strange circumstances.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
It hasn't been mentioned yet, but I think it should be pointed out that you must be very careful around dead standing trees adn trees with dead branches. The can drop on you without warning, if that happens it's nighty night. I have seen dead branches fall from otherwise healthy oak trees (beech is another prime suspect for this) drop as I've been walking through teh woods. ONe such brach, about wrist thick, was stood up in the path where I had just been walking - it was stuck in nearly a foot deep!

So please be very careful near dead trees. Particularly if cutting them down, any shaking of the trunk can dislodge the branches above you!

Nichola

Jul 17, 2007
Thanks so much to everyone who has posted a reply. Some great advice and i've now stopped feeling stupid about asking simple questions. Next time i'm out-and-about, i'm going to go hunting for dead wood (being cautious about falling branches). Thanks again, Nichola

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE