DD XL Tarp Mod

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
North Wood saw the first outing for this tarp :

A 4.5m x 3m Tarp with a 3m x 3m tarp cut on the diagonal and sewn in.

ddbodyformtarp2.jpg

ddbodyformtarp.jpg

Stunning weather at the Rough Close Meet gave me the opportunity to try out different configurations to the DD XL Tarp I had Modded.

longk.jpg

highbothsides2.jpg

highhalfzipped2.jpg

highhalfzipped4.jpg

highoneside2.jpg

highoneside3.jpg

lowgroundsheetdown.jpg

lowgroundsheetdown3.jpg

lowgroundsheetdown4.jpg

lowgroundsheetopen.jpg

lowgroundsheetopen3.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good work, have you sealed the new seams yet?

I like the versatility, I have an Ogee tarp from the US which is basically the same design but in silnylon and half the size.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks Gents,

Rich, nope not sealed it yet, it is a cheap zip, and I'll iron out all teething problems before commiting to better ones.

We discussed adding additional zips to the sides for mossie nets as well :eek::rolleyes: :lmao:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Martin,
How did you find working with the zips, I have an idea for a tarp set-up using two 3x3 DD's and I'm thinking that Zips could be useful. DId it take much pinning into position or did you just line it up and hope for the best?

ATB

Ogri the trog

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I got a retired professional seamstress ( my Mum) to do mine. Amazing how they are still helpful to their 44 year old Sons :lmao::lmao::lmao:

She marked, pinned, tacked and sewed IIRC

HTH

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hmmm, so the bar starts pretty high.

I'll have to wait until I can finance the project without it impacting my domestic knife-edge - but thanks for getting back so quick.

ATB

Ogri the trog

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Hmmm, so the bar starts pretty high.

I'll have to wait until I can finance the project without it impacting my domestic knife-edge - but thanks for getting back so quick.

ATB

Ogri the trog

It's still a work in progress;

I will need to add some more tie off points as well for different configurations.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
It was an amazing morphing landmark, every time you walked past, like a cloth rubic cube, it was a whole new configuration :) Brilliant work, Martin, and compliments to Mom for some top seaming there!

Oh and btw, was the MilMart brilliant.... whereabouts was it?

Last edited:

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
It's bigger than my house......

I added a two 1m metre triangles to my 3x3 using metal eyelets and thin para cord but yours is a whole new league. Well done that man, well done indeed

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
It was an amazing morphing landmark, every time you walked past, like a cloth rubic cube, it was a whole new configuration :) Brilliant work, Martin, and compliments to Mom for some top seaming there!

Oh and btw, was the MilMart brilliant.... whereabouts was it?

Cheers Sal,

I'll pass it on when she's adding the extra zips :lmao:

and the show was here:

http://www.militaryconvention.co.uk/Publish/Leaflets_Flyers/MilitaryConvention-Mar2012.pdf

It was full of kit, some great bargains were had. :)

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
It's bigger than my house......

I added a two 1m metre triangles to my 3x3 using metal eyelets and thin para cord but yours is a whole new league. Well done that man, well done indeed

Thanks, I can't take full credit for this. I first saw DrJones and his modded 3x3 in 2009:

drjonessetup002.jpg

I think the design stuck in my head for 3 years and then popped to the surface :lmao::lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE