DD tarp as a teepee/laavu

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
I have a 3x3m DD tarp and I like to configure it as a teepee/laavu in the colder months. To heat it i use a candle but I'm toying with the idea of using a tiny wood stove. Anybody got any ideas on how I can insulate the chimney without having to modify the tarp??

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
That's what I mean.. can I insulate the chimney with something?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
My comment still stands even if you insulate a chimney. The size using a 3x3 as a lavuu is not big enough for any stove, insulated or not, you just don't have enough clearance between all the hot parts, insulated or not. Now, if you made one using 2 3x3m tarps, that would probably work using welders heat mats.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'll happily sit in a canvas belltent with a burner and the correct flashing for the chimney, but no way under thin plastic that flaps about in the breeze.

There really isn't the room for a burner under a 3 X 3 tarp IMO.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
fair enough gents. thanks for your advice, i will stick with the candle! :)

And a hot water bottle :)

Wood burners in tents effectively take up one third of the useable space, you'd only need to roll over in the night to burn a hole in your bag.

There are those baked bean can type heaters that sit on the gas stove, radiate masses of heat. I can't think of the name of them. As with anything powered by a fuel that emits CO, you can't leave it burning in such a small space. To an extent, canvas breathes, and my tent is roomy. When I was using my Oztent with doors and vents closed, I just made a cuppa before bed and that heated the space enough, same in the morning. Once in bag and snuggled, why need heat anyway?

I confess to owning a Gelert tent heater that served fine during an October camp in The Lakes. Bit glamp, but it really worked very well, and I was careful to switch it off and have a small vent open.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE