DD Superlight tarp as ground sheet?

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Evening,

I've the 3x2.9 DD Superlight Tarp and the DD Superlight Jungle Hammock (SJH) Tarp x2, and their instructions mention using the tarps as ground sheets for things like when using the SJH as a bivi shelter. But my question is, how suitable are these tarps for ground use? They seem very thin and not at all rugged for ground use, but they could simply be deceptively lightweight.

Any thoughts or user experiences of using such things on the ground?

Cheers,
Hugh

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Personally I would not use them as a ground sheet, one thorn, bramble, sharp stone - out with the duct tape, you could use a cheap tarp, IPK or German Army Groundsheet, all heavier, but way cheaper. Good Luck.

j

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Thank you for the suggestions of other, more suitable tarps boney. I did think it odd they'd recommend using those on the ground.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
As long as you don;t tramp over it in hob nailed boots,you should be OK. Ultra-light types use polycryo- plastic film used to "double glaze" inefficient windows. OK for just you, as you will respect it. But not for a herd of elephants or a 12 year old kid - a 12 year olsd would need 1/2" OSB.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
As long as you don;t tramp over it in hob nailed boots,you should be OK. Ultra-light types use polycryo- plastic film used to "double glaze" inefficient windows. OK for just you, as you will respect it. But not for a herd of elephants or a 12 year old kid - a 12 year olsd would need 1/2" OSB.

I'll look into one of those as an extra ground sheet for the tent. Super light. Thank you

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Or if your worried about weight get the DD magic carpet

Weight is indeed a concern, but for the price these polycryo film sheets should do the job and be lighter, larger and cheaper than the Magic Carpet. More fragile though no doubt, but they'll be cared for.

Thank you for the suggestion though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE