DD Pack

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Has anyone got the DD pack?

DD%20Pack%20products%20page.jpg

I'm looking for a day pack and was thinking for £15 it's worth a punt to see what it's like but I wanted some first impressions from any owners before I commit

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
I've got one and to be honest I'm not impressed. It looks pretty nice in the woods but purely because of its retro styling. The problem is, virtually every other rucksack I've ever owned is better than this in every respect, maybe with the exception of my school haversack from the late '70s.

The DD Pack is uncomfortable to wear, is in no way waterproof and none of the pockets seem to be the right size/shape for any of my kit.

Sorry I can't give a more positive review.

Martin

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've got one and to be honest I'm not impressed. It looks pretty nice in the woods but purely because of its retro styling. The problem is, virtually every other rucksack I've ever owned is better than this in every respect, maybe with the exception of my school haversack from the late '70s.

The DD Pack is uncomfortable to wear, is in no way waterproof and none of the pockets seem to be the right size/shape for any of my kit.

Sorry I can't give a more positive review.

Martin

Thanks for that very honest review Martin. I may well not bother with it now :rolleyes:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Oh, that's a shame.
Can't believe they haven't made them waterproof.
I was thinking of getting a new sack and was also looking at the DD one because I do like the look of it. The comfort issue is a personal one, so wouldn't dissuade me. Ditto the size of the pouches.
But NOT waterproof is a bit of a b*****k-dropper. I know I could waterproof it myself, but quite frankly I don't want the hassle. I rather expect that to be done in a pack that will be used in an outdoorsy situation. Ho hum. Shame.

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
Oh, that's a shame.
Can't believe they haven't made them waterproof.
I was thinking of getting a new sack and was also looking at the DD one because I do like the look of it. The comfort issue is a personal one, so wouldn't dissuade me. Ditto the size of the pouches.
But NOT waterproof is a bit of a b*****k-dropper. I know I could waterproof it myself, but quite frankly I don't want the hassle. I rather expect that to be done in a pack that will be used in an outdoorsy situation. Ho hum. Shame.

I agree that comfort is usually a subjective issue but, if you think that carrying something as thin as a pillow case filled with all your kit and coupled with thin, unpadded straps may even be remotely comfortable, then you're pain threshold is higher than mine. :D

Sorry guys, but apart from the looks (highly subjective), I really can't think of anything to recommend this pack. And, for the record, I love my DD Travel Hammock, DD 3m x 3m tarp, DD Sleeping Bag Liner, and DD/Snugpak Underblanket. I am truly a fan of DD gear but not this.

Martin

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I agree that comfort is usually a subjective issue but, if you think that carrying something as thin as a pillow case filled with all your kit and coupled with thin, unpadded straps may even be remotely comfortable, then you're pain threshold is higher than mine. :D

Fair enough. Didn't realise it was quite so thin and the straps were unpadded.
Makes it even more of a shame, because I do like that retro-Alice pack look.
I did find someone else doing a mini-Alice pack. Can't remember who it was because the pack was an utterly useless 20L size!

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
In fact the look is great on this pack, but not the material they use or how they build up the pack (unpadded straps etc.).

In my opinion there are too much straps and strings on the outside of the pack - which I dont like. As you can see in Sean´s video the pack has the straps and strings over and over the whole thing.
I dont think that this is a pluspoint when stalking, trapping, or went through the bush!

Ones for sure - the look of the pack itself is great (when there are not as much straps and strings on the rucksack as they were).

Thats just my 2 cent
cheers
Mike

PS: Maybe you can cut off all this unnecessary stuff and make it waterproof by waxing or even sew on another layer of Canvas to make it thicker and pad the straps or so.
If you are good in DIY - you maybe come up with a great bag at all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE