Daysack recommendations for less money, lightweight, etc.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've got rucksacks of many types but I'm not happy with any of them for several reasons. I'm thinking of buying a new one but have no idea any more. I've no idea if what I need and I've got too many other expenses since moving house this year to spend much money. I'm 6'5" tall, I'm looking for a lightweight sack that I can use and my 5'5" tall partner can use. About 25-30 daysack sized. Family, local walks. Ideally less than £100 and a lot less of possible. I like good chest strap as I find shoulder straps move out if there's no chest strap.

My menagerie of rucksacks consist of:-

• Innov8 32litre running pack- broken chest strap and no frame plus it's fit holes in mesh pockets. Used in the past as my point weekend pack and my current day pack.
  • Alpkit Gourdon used as pack for work
  • Aiguille Alpine custom pack made longer for my back length for backpacking. Used very little as frame bar was put in wrong way around and hurt. I found that out after I no longer needed it. Volume of base sack was similar to a 45 litre alpine sack but back length probably increased it to 60/65 litres.
  • Berghaus extrem alpine 50 litres +15 litre overpack. Amazing backpacking sack in alpine style that's 1100g empty but carries up to 28 kg as comfortably as it can be but I've got down to 4-5kg base load kit with it. Very, very stable fully loaded. I've scrambled grade 2 or 3 star with full camping kit with it.
  • Berghaus day sack in the old style side pockets and squat shape,
  • 10 or 15 litre running pack.
Out of those i only really like the berghaus extrem alpine but it's too big. The AA sack is like new but too big and very basic. I like side pockets accessible on the move for water bottles. I like mesh pockets on the back to stuff things in.

Anyone know of a good 25 to 30 litre daysack that's got the pockets, good hip belt, good chest strap, light and stable carry? Anything available in the UK and not too expensive. There's some good ones but you're talking best part of £200!!!

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Mystery Ranch In and Out :) I got a couple. One for here, one for there.

(Eeek! I just saw the UK price).

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I doubt that somebody makes so small packs with hip belt that would fit both of you perfectly. The market for such solutions is too small in my opinion.

The easiest would be to look for a taller partner. But the most options you get if you shrink a bit.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Do you mean 'hip belt' - i.e. to take the weight on your hip; or do you mean 'waist belt' that just stops the bag moving around too much. If the former, I have to agree with Erbswurst. If the latter see the discussion here:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Latter. I call them all hipbelts despite not many packs reaching my hips anyway. Even my old backpacking sack made by karrimor back when they were still good. A good 65 litres capacity and I could never get it to support the weight on the hips as is advised.

You should see my custom sack. I wasn't their tallest customer by 4" I believe but you'll probably not see a fixed hippest sack quite as long in the back.

Some get close enough even in lower volume sacks. My innov8 sack is long and thin so almost hits the spot despite being only 32 litres. Used to call such taller and thinner sack alpine sacks back in the day. Clean lines and one void accessed from the top. Never got on with the upper and lower section bags. The feature was wasted on me and I prefer the sleeping bag to be compressed at least in part by everything above it.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Have a look at the 5.11 Rush 12

Reactions: PoppyD

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
You could look for a second hand Osprey Talon. They have adjustable back sizes but only within the parameters of the actual pack size. I’m 165cm and use a small/medium. You would likely need a large. The small/medium on its largest/longest setting would be too small for you. The back length adjusts to position the hip belt correctly.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
For your wife a Essl RU 502 could be interesting. It's made of polyester, that's why it's so cheap. But it's allowed to use in the Austrian army although not issued.

I suggest to call Essl directly and ask about the body size, for you the slightly taller and larger RU5026 might be an option.

RU 502 has 34 litres
RU 5026 has more than 40 litres

But that's including the side pouches etc.
The main compartments are smaller, and empty pockets do not matter.

;)

At the Essl homepage you can see the other colours. But it's only in German.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I've got rucksacks of many types but I'm not happy with any of them for several reasons. I'm thinking of buying a new one but have no idea any more. I've no idea if what I need and I've got too many other expenses since moving house this year to spend much money. I'm 6'5" tall, I'm looking for a lightweight sack that I can use and my 5'5" tall partner can use. About 25-30 daysack sized. Family, local walks. Ideally less than £100 and a lot less of possible. I like good chest strap as I find shoulder straps move out if there's no chest strap.

My menagerie of rucksacks consist of:-

• Innov8 32litre running pack- broken chest strap and no frame plus it's fit holes in mesh pockets. Used in the past as my point weekend pack and my current day pack.
  • Alpkit Gourdon used as pack for work
  • Aiguille Alpine custom pack made longer for my back length for backpacking. Used very little as frame bar was put in wrong way around and hurt. I found that out after I no longer needed it. Volume of base sack was similar to a 45 litre alpine sack but back length probably increased it to 60/65 litres.
  • Berghaus extrem alpine 50 litres +15 litre overpack. Amazing backpacking sack in alpine style that's 1100g empty but carries up to 28 kg as comfortably as it can be but I've got down to 4-5kg base load kit with it. Very, very stable fully loaded. I've scrambled grade 2 or 3 star with full camping kit with it.
  • Berghaus day sack in the old style side pockets and squat shape,
  • 10 or 15 litre running pack.
Out of those i only really like the berghaus extrem alpine but it's too big. The AA sack is like new but too big and very basic. I like side pockets accessible on the move for water bottles. I like mesh pockets on the back to stuff things in.

Anyone know of a good 25 to 30 litre daysack that's got the pockets, good hip belt, good chest strap, light and stable carry? Anything available in the UK and not too expensive. There's some good ones but you're talking best part of £200!!!
I think it would be a lot easier for you if you got one backpack each, seeing as you are so different in size.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Ortlieb Gear - Pack is adjustable in the back length. I have no idea where are the limits. But that's a relatively new construction and also Germans can become tall.

Very long lasting, made in Germany.

There is a different design, the Ortlieb Atrack.
I have no idea how practical that is.

Both are waterproof. Really waterproof.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
No, don't necessarily agree with that...Dutch army Lowe Alpine, are hugely strong, and very modern sacks are very light, like Osprey? A pack needs to fit well, first and foremost, and if you can't try it on before purchase, you could be for a load of hassle as we are all different?o_O

Reactions: nigelp

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If it has the same built quality it's a few gram lighter, of course. Less material, less weight.

The Berghaus Atlas is by far the lightest rucksack in the 110 litres class because they save a bit weight every corner.

Compared to the Saracen, that's the big brother of the Dutch army Sting rucksack that you obviously mean, they save nearly 2 kg! And the Saracen is just a little bit larger.

But don't get me wrong. I agree that the Sting is a great rucksack.

The Atlas is offered in several body sizes, like clothing. Others like the Karrimor Sabre 45 are simply just offered in body size L / XL. If you are a gnome or a giant you simply can't take that and have to choose a different one.

I find it pretty unserious from the makers of such rucksacks that they don't declare for which body sizes such non adjustable rucksacks are constructed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laurence Milton

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I am 5' 6" and use Lowe Alpine stuff ok. My current day pack is a Lowe Alpine airtrail 30. I want something smaller for my hiking day pack however it hard to find that spec in a smaller litre. Thinking about making a version of a travel style rucksack in ripstop nylon with only side and lid pockets. Wish I could find where Lowe Alpine get their mesh from?
My tall friend gets on with Osprey stuff.
Sports Pursuit do clearance deals on Lowe Alpine and Osprey as well as other brands. This weekend they had Lowe Alpine.
There is a difference in the better made packs between men's and women's. They are cut and sized differently.
If buying online I advise you find them somewhere to try on first, fit can be a really odd thing. Also make sure you can see the straps etc because the rucksack can look great from the front however the back is almost an after thought.
If you go to try something, take you water bottle with you. My friend uses camelbak bottles and almost all of the daypack pockets would not take one so my Smart bottles would not fit either.
Finally it really worth thinking about what you carry and why? My day hiking kit is a wind proof jacket, anorak style jacket, hat, gloves, sandwich box, 2 (3 when hot or flask when cold) smart bottles, first aid kit and a little bit of misc so it would fit maybe in 10 litres - 15 at a push.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I assume that the rescue teams mainly have to deal with people who went with a too small pack and get in unexpected situations.

If you don't carry tent, kitchen, a lot of food and other heavy stuff a 30 litres rucksack full of warm clothing and raingear weighs approximately 5 to 6 kg plus water. I don't see any reason to leave a fleece jacket at home, fleece longjohns, warm cap, spare socks and a light bivvy bag or military poncho.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
I assume that the rescue teams mainly have to deal with people who went with a too small pack and get in unexpected situations.

If you don't carry tent, kitchen, a lot of food and other heavy stuff a 30 litres rucksack full of warm clothing and raingear weighs approximately 5 to 6 kg plus water. I don't see any reason to leave a fleece jacket at home, fleece longjohns, warm cap, spare socks and a light bivvy bag or military poncho.
In the UK most mountain rescue call outs are for folk lost/overdue, slips, trips and falls.

An emergency shelter (or group shelter) instead of a bivvy and an extra warm layer (plus dry hat and gloves) should be sufficient in summer if carrying waterproofs etc. anyway. A poncho is a massive flappy pain in the behind in the hills and mountains and adds nothing but weight to a pack. My mountain leading summer pack is 34 litres and sufficient for my personal kit plus extra for group.

Edit - see the post below. Just ordered the Montane pack linked to as my summer leader pack and for overnight trips.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst and Broch

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
No, don't necessarily agree with that...Dutch army Lowe Alpine, are hugely strong, and very modern sacks are very light, like Osprey? A pack needs to fit well, first and foremost, and if you can't try it on before purchase, you could be for a load of hassle as we are all different?o_O
Yep - All my Montane and Osprey packs have an adjustable back system. Weigh around 1kg for most 30-44 litres sizes and have survived numerous day and overnight trips. The adjustable back ensures a good and comfortable fit.

These are on offer at Trekkit: https://www.trekitt.co.uk/rucksacks...ane-mens-azote-32-blackcloudburst-grey__41739

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE