Daylily Cordage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I managed to rescue a few old daylily leaves from the gardener this morning with a view to having a play at some cordage as it's something i've not done for a long time, please bear in mind the bits of cord you see are from leaves straight from the garden and have not been dried and wetted again before use, but it is after all, only an experiment in their practicality and a work out for my arthritic hands.

Normally when cordage making im a thigh roller, but wanting to keep my dexterity, or as much as i can without hurting myself, i played with the overhand method which is something i've always struggled with even before arthritis hit, but although i am quite slow at it, i'm getting there and the results so far are quite pleasing and i'm in no rush these days, so if it takes longer to do, so be it, certainly the cordage is more uniform than thigh rolling.

53920893673_c14b773e58_z.jpg

Can't wait for the Gladioli to stop flowering as i can see coiled baskets as well as cordage from those on the not too distant horizon.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice :) very nice :)

I like using lily leaves too. It makes really good cordage.
Flag iris isn't quite like water rush, but it's good stuff as well.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice :) very nice :)

I like using lily leaves too. It makes really good cordage.
Flag iris isn't quite like water rush, but it's good stuff as well.
Tried some Iris earlier in the year, didn't do too well with it, think i left it a little too late before collecting it and it was past it's best. Going to try and harvest he outer fibres from some Loganberry at some point too, figure it grows long like a bramble so might produce some useable lengths of fibre, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Total admiration to you and other cordage makers.
I am absolutely new to this and I’m starting with nettles. I’ve got a big flint nodule and a paving slab as a kwern and we’ll see where it all goes.

I have so many nettles that I probably don’t need much else.

Edited to correct autocorrect.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE