Dartmoor with the nippers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 23, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Hi All,

Firstly "HELLO!!!" new to the site so will no doubt be told I am posting in the wrong places etc, it's to be expected :eek:. Just point me in the right direction and give me kick :buttkick:.

I am looking to take my kids wild camping, and with Dartmoor being an easy bet due to not having to seek permission, I was wondering what things there is for kids to do there?. They are only small (3, 5, 8), so will love the freedom, but will also need something to keep them occupied come the night time. Is there anything there, or will it be a case of resorting to DIY and arty crafty stuff?.

A side note to this. Our ideal camping is woodlands based. Is there any other woodlands people can recommend that they know how to obtain permission for?.

Muchos Gracias :thankyou: in advance!.

Ross.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Teach them about stars and constellations and hope for clear nights with no light pollution.
Look up the best times (eg the August Perseid Shower) for a look.

That was good until my kids said: "Huh. It happened again this year. I'm cold."

Watch for the slow steady progress of satellites. Don't forget that the ISS is only 100 miles away.

Wooden knives and soap carving. Campfire cooking.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Not much campable woodland on Dartmoor, no fires either so it'll be a gas stove toasting the marshmallows. I don't have kids so have no experience of entertaining them. Personally my attraction to Dartmoor was always to get away from it all in a, at times, bleak but beautiful landscape. You may get a good site near a stream if you're happy to watch them all the time that may provide a bit of entertainment. There are a number of campsites around Dartmoor's periphery that'll give you decent access to beaches and attractions in the south Hams. Sorry I probably haven't helped.

Jun 23, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Thanks all, much appreciated.

Scoman, trust me when I say my choice would be being away from the kids for some peace, unfortunately leaving them at home alone to fend for them selves, or locking them away is frowned upon ;)

crosslandkelly, any reason particularly you would avoid it with the kids?. They are good kids, they stay close and do as they are told. I suppose their is always that risk they decide top wonder off of course.

So, with the comments above. Anywhere people would recommend for some good woodland camping?.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, it's (if the timing suits) a really good place, in really good company, and it's really family friendly….and it's closer than Dartmoor :)
I know it's an expense but you'll not get a better price for a family break with a bushcraft/camping in the woods (with a beautiful sandy beach right on the doorstep) anywhere.

I wish the Moot were closer to us, but it's an awful long drive down, and I don't drive huge distances all the time now, so it'd be an effort.

M

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Thanks all, much appreciated.
crosslandkelly, any reason particularly you would avoid it with the kids?. They are good kids, they stay close and do as they are told. I suppose their is always that risk they decide top wonder off of course.

So, with the comments above. Anywhere people would recommend for some good woodland camping?.

I don't doubt for a moment that your children are good and would stay near, but by it's very nature wild camping can be very unpredictable, weather, terrain etc. A campsite will be more fun for the kids in the evening, while giving you a base to explore the moor unencumbered by kit IMHO.
Toddy's idea of the moot is a great one, have been going to it myself since 2009.

Images https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b...t-DUAhViIMAKHUrOBeIQ_AUIBygC&biw=1366&bih=659

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE