Dartmoor knife help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Well I like some others here took the plunge and bought a Dartmoor blank and handle (at a very VERY reasonable price :D ) from a member here. While thrilled with the parts I've got I've hit a dilemma. I'm more than comfortable with making and fitting fingerguards, most of my knives actually come with them fitted. And I usually make them by smelting scraps or cut them from charity shop brass.

But since most of the parts are original I quite fancy an original fingerguard. I've sourced a survival tube and handle nut but have been informed by a couple of websites originals are not available at all. Do any of you fine people know of a source?

The knife itself is coming along, even if it is eating a steady diet of grinder belts on my little setup. As these blanks are already hardened they can be a challenge with domestic gear, and I dont have the fanciest grinder ever as you can see! A testament to how hard 440C can actually get.
87197e67bb5e298e89e527c9a2beb968.jpg

And ive cast a brass bar for the bolster if I need one, and if you ever read this Steph I told you there was a reason I kept bullet cases ;)

f145409f00933db8782bfbd7289659a1.jpg

Andy you did tell me to keep a flask of coffee on while grinding this and you where not wrong sir!

Anyone that can help with getting original hardware instead of the repros would be forever seen as an idol :D but if not I think itll look ok with brass

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I've only managed to get a repro pommel and lanyard tube from Andy Wood ( his last I think) but can't find a finger guard repro or origional any where ......
His website was my first port of call but again all repro. Great minds think alike it would seem! The other bits came from my local gun shops spares box that the owner kindly lets me rake through periodically for useful gear. I've seen repro fingerguards on fleabay but I'm holding out for an original or making one.

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
I be seen brass on fleabay but was wanting a steel one really , was thinking of asking a local blacksmith . I think it will be hard to source origional parts now. I'll post a pic of my work in progress tomorrow .

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I be seen brass on fleabay but was wanting a steel one really , was thinking of asking a local blacksmith . I think it will be hard to source origional parts now. I'll post a pic of my work in progress tomorrow .
Aye itll be like sourcing rocking horse... Ahem... Eggs. Be good to see some pics of peoples take on a classic knife though. I'll bite the bullet and make one if I can't find one but never say never!

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I bought a blank and handle too, still to start on the blade, but I've been filing and cutting away on a bit of aluminium block from eBay for the finger guard. A fair number of pics to get the shape and measurements approximated from... bit more work today on the recess for the handle with a dremel....

3F18E06E-6265-4425-92E1-94902835F18C_zpswbirl08o.jpg

Also need to get some clear shots of the bolt and tube, but fingers crossed!

Last edited:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Ive been at it for a week so far! Ive got pics of the process, so ill put up a series once its (hopefully) done. So far its been done with hand tools and a dremel..
ill have to work out some knd of lathe for the bolt.. nice pics..

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh

I did a bit more of the finger guard, and finally got going with the blade.. I needed to make a jig to hold the blade and got started... It'll take a while, and a few sanding belts..

Jan 9, 2022
Wr143hp
His website was my first port of call but again all repro. Great minds think alike it would seem! The other bits came from my local gun shops spares box that the owner kindly lets me rake through periodically for useful gear. I've seen repro fingerguards on fleabay but I'm holding out for an original or making one.
When you say fleabay, Do you mean Ebay?

Jan 9, 2022
Wr143hp
I am really surprised someone doesnt make load of reproduction finger guards,
Would be a nice little sideline for a decent tool maker,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE