Dartmoor in a camper?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quarryman

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2009
Kernow
I've been given the chance to borrow a camper van, so I thought I'd take the family up to Dartmoor next weekend. Any ideas for good spots or sites would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks Matt.

H

He' s left the building

I was in Devon/Cornwall on business recently, saved the firm's expenses by taking a tent and trangia, I stopped here: http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/details.asp?Package=1338 as it was conveniently close to Okehampton/A30 (just West of the town).

Decent beer garden and pub food, cheap pitch for the tent and no coins required for the showers, site was small but not crowded, I'd stay there again.

Feb 10, 2010
Newquay, Cornwall
Do you mean free places or campsites? Here is a list of Dartmoor Campsites, but most of them are around the edge of the moors. I can recommend either West Dartmoor near Tavistock or South-East near Ashburton. The Hills around Chagford have some quite places to pull in.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Not sure whether you mean a camper or motorhome (some people don't know the difference). We've done Dartmoor, Bodmin and Exmoor for free. There are loads of car parks and view points that no-one uses late afternoon or evening. I can't tell you a place because we never note them just go with the flow. The worst that can happen is a Ranger or bobby asks you to move on. It has NEVER happened to us. Well once on the Sandringham when the Ranger knocked the next morning and said, "Would you move on after breakfast please, her Royal Highness does not allow overnight camping"!

In a motorhome it's a bit easier just find a public loo every few days to empty the loo and when you fill up with fuel you'll find most garages especially the smaller franchises are happy to let you have water.

If it's a camper (we used to have a MH and now a camper), unless you have a loo, it'll be cat scrapes.

I can't see the point in using the camper during the day and then going to a site to park up. I can do that in beautiful scenery elsewhere. Waking up to a mist with ponies walking through it is just fantastic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE