Dark ages kit - advice please :)

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Hi there!
Now as I have all the kit I want for bushcaft I want to go a bit deeper and over some time to make a DIY Dark ages kit. I want to know where to start from and the resuorce base I could look up. :) I'm looking into period from 12th to 15-16th centuries. Of course my clothing will represent Baltic culture, but the kit as far as I'm conserned fits well around Celtic, there is no major major differences as far as I know. Your advice would be greatly apreciated!

I'm thinking to start of:

1. Flint and steel fire kit.
2. Tinder pouch.
3. Knife and a sheath.
4. Sewing kit.

Anything I should know about pouches before I start destroying that lovely leather jacket ? :D

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
As this is my start I think I'll do from materials awailable, not very true to re-creation (dunno the word.. copy from the past)....... a bit of recycling me thinks :D not to waste money on things I might not need later on... you know.

pouches from leather jacket, flint steel from a file, a knife forged from a file or some other carbon steel...

Last edited:

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
Have a look at some of the Viking/Dark age renenactment group sites as well, lots of them have info regarding camp set ups etc. When I was a member we used to go on training camps and even the camps would be kept as 'authentic' as possible.

Good Luck

Rich

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
the re-enactment group is a good idea, just look on there sites to see when the next show is and go along and talk to people about what you want.
also have a look on some of the re-enactment shops, you can get some good ideas of what to make from them (im going to make myself some leather shoes).

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Talking to re-enactors is useful but be aware that some of them don't know as much as they think they do.

One group told a friend of mine that the Sutton Hoo ship burial was Viking!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE