Danny QDanTs Maughton Scar Whetstones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Right then, for anyone lucky enough o have Dannys superb whetstones gathered from these green hills of ours and with an amazing history. Here's how I use the smaller ones.

First, soak in a dish for 5mins (I now keep one in this for use with my kitchen Mora)

DSC07254.jpg

I like to free hold them if they are thick enough, if not, lay them on a towel or non slip surface on the edge of a table.

Start off at the base of the knife and adjust the angle to the angle of the cutting edge

DSC07255.jpg

In one fluid movement, draw it towards you and at the same time slide the knife down to the tip as if you are trying to slice off a paper thin strip of stone

DSC07256.jpg

Turn over and do the same in the opposite direction. Keep adding water if the stone dries out

DSC07257.jpg

DSC07258.jpg

The grit on these is about 4000 to 5000 grit, very fine

You can add micro bevels to your knives too. I did this on my bushcrafter with great results

DSC07259.jpg

DSC07260.jpg

These are great for touching up in the field, you can use them dry or add a bit of water or even spit for better results.

A larger size stone would make the perfect bench stone and is certainly equal in quality to commercially bought benchstones of a very fine grit, only visually far more appealing. You can understand why they were the standard for the Sheffield knife industry.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Also, if you rub two stones together, as well as keeping a flat profile, it creates a great and really fine slurry to aid sharpening...

DSC07261.jpg

Sory for the brightness, the only way I can take a decent pic is with the flash. I will amend it tomorrow.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Just read your rub two stones together to form a fine slurry I've saved the sludge from the diamond wheel water bath and at the moment it's drying out in the shed
Ideas :thinkerg: Ideas cheers Jonathan many thanks Danny

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
In all seriousness, I can see me carrying these stones over the DC4. They are that good. The ceramic on the DC4 is very fine, and the diamond side too abrasive. The grit size in these stones is perfect. If you made them the size of the Spyderco Doublestuff, you would be on to a winner.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I've saved the sludge from the diamond wheel water bath and at the moment it's drying out in the shed
Ideas :thinkerg:

Just had a thought... Could the dry slurry be bound together with wax to make a polishing compound?

Z

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
cracking idea if you can get the dried slurry to powder up nicely and is fine enough... then mix in to some wax without clumping or bit bits falling in.
Let it set in ice cube moulds...yeah....nice plan....glad you came up with it :p
No idea if it would be practiable but sounds good in thoery.

could be rubbed on strops as well?

Mojo

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
I just got mine,
First up was my new Eka Swede 82, after a few passes on one of the stones I decided to test it, It was seriously sharp I whittled hair!
Then I tried my Opinel, Same results hair popping sharp,
I tried a few blades that I had made myself with the same results these stones are amazing, I'm going to carry these from now on!
I think that these hones are finer than my 6000 grit japanese water stone! :)
I'm supper happy :lmao:
Cheers,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE