Danish oil and spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
The thing with finishing products is they are not obliged in the UK to tell you what is in it (as they are in many other countries) so whilst in the big print it says it's a blend of tung oil and natural oils in the small print we find it contains cobalt compound which is the drying agent and I suspect 50% of the tin is cheap thinners, white spirit which is what you can smell.

"Heath and Safety
Flammable. Harmful: May cause lung damage if swallowed. Repeated exposure may cause skin dryness or cracking. Keep out of the reach of children. Avoid contact with skin or eyes. Do not empty into drains. Use only in well-ventilated areas. If swallowed, do not induce vomiting: seek medical advice immediately and show this container or label. Contains cobalt compound. May cause an allergic reaction."

Personally I would not worry about it but given the choice I would use a food product oil for something that I am going to put in my mouth, walnut oil is ideal if you don't have nut allergy.

More about oil finishes for wood here. http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2009/12/what-is-best-oil-for-treating-wood.html

beasty

Dec 28, 2010
Swansea
Thanks Robin.
This is only the first of many spoons and it will be used but ill use walnut oil on my future spoons and other products.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE