Daniel Boone challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Well, that's it then.

Kit will be:

Frost River pack
DD 3x3 tarp
GB SFA
Laplander
knife
3 wool blankets
Billy can
candles
Dog
food for me & Winston (Dog)

FAK will be stashed away just in case.

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Nice little kit load there mate.
Even with the semi restricted kit list I took far too much kit. I'm planning on thinning it out for the next time....
I reckon boonie camping will be an ongoing occourance for me after this challenge

Cheers.
Yeah, I'm trying to cut down on kit. Not easy though!

I may have to take my kip matt if I haven't finished my bed roll thing, broke my pelvis years ago and it does play up should I doss on the floor in the cold. Bit more testing required I think.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Has our activity caught anyone elses imagination at all? anyone else wanna have a crack at this?
I believe that many more then me are following this idea with great interest and the apparent lack of response is due to a mix of being in awe and not wanting to clutter the mountain man thread with green horn chatter.

As theatrics and re enactment has never been my thing I had to read up a bit on this and what you are doing is more experimental archeology then "pretending" to be mountain men. The difference being that the point is not to have a "linen canvas oiled tarp" but to learn how sleeping comfortably under a small tarp was done etc.

I believe that many more then me are following this idea with great interest and the apparent lack of response is due to a mix of being in awe and not wanting to clutter the mountain man thread with green horn chatter.

As theatrics and re enactment has never been my thing I had to read up a bit on this and what you are doing is more experimental archeology then "pretending" to be mountain men. The difference being that the point is not to have a "linen canvas oiled tarp" but to learn how sleeping comfortably under a small tarp was done etc.
It was never intended as experimental archeology when I suggested the challenge. Just a return to basic kit and using skills not relying on the latest gucci Ti technology. It just kinda evolved into doing it with vintage style kit. If you read the start of the thread I said it was about individual interpretation. Personally I dont see myself dressed in breech clout and hunting shirt running like Daniel day lewis in last of the mohicans
In fact one of the best write ups was copperhead who did it in his own way with a blend of modern materials.
None of it is green horn chatter and please dont feel you would clutter it up :)

Ps I love the steam punk boone thread once I've had a proper read I'll chip in on that ;)

Pps boone was a long hunter not a mountain man slightly different time period but it could of as easily been the jerimiah johnson challenge it was just a name I kinda came up and folk ran with

Downside first.
I took too much food. Partly because albus and I split the catering meant we both took too much as we didnt know how much the other would eat.
Because I shared catering I needed something to eat out of. I could of eaten out of my billy if I had only cooked for myself.
I could of used a crusader cup rather than a billy. However I prefer a billy can for brewing up.
Next time I shall pack crusader cup billy can and a drinking mug.
I didnt make the bannock I took. Next time a loaf of some sturdy bread like the soda bread andor took would be sufficient for the two days we were out.
I took a swanni and didn't use it. Obviously this was partly influenced by weather conditions. However one of the two blankets I took has a T cut allowing it to be used as a poncho which I could of used had it been cold.thus removing weight of swanni which was only used as a pillow.
The czech bed roll is nice but cumbersome I could of done without it.
A smaller tarp would of been sufficient. Mind you if it had been wetter the one I took would of given living space as well as sleeping space

Positives.
The army sup moccs were very comfy. Whilst I only wore them as effectively camp slippers it was nice to be able to removd my boots after the treks.
Food quiver worked nicely I need t get my admin of it better to save delving in and rummaging but its a good idea and one I will use again.
My load wasnt too heavy which was a nice surprise and I didn't mind the carry. (Was nice putting it down though)
Tea lights and table candles give off enough light a mix of the two is ideal to pack.
The tobacco tin candle holder worked very well.

Things I'd pinch from others....
Market wallet.
Carrying a haversack to have snacks etc in.
The punk wood idea from andor.

Theres probably more stuff that'll spring to mind which I'll add

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
However one of the two blankets I took has a T cut allowing it to be used as a poncho which I could of used had it been cold.

Cracking idea! I'll be sorting that out when I get home!

I use the army bed roll whenever I go out now, but going to ditch it this time and just take 3 wool blankets. I'm hoping that should it rain 3 should keep me warm and dry

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I will have another go at this some time more Boonie and less Iron Age/ DIY....
I am busy working on a canvas tarp at the moment :)

So I've been thinking more about my boone kit.
Next time I'm going to remove the bed roll and use two blankets.
Smaller tarp as mine was too large for one person.
Either swap out axe for folding saw (ok maybe 21st C Boone) or take axe and only a folding pocket knife.
Trim cook kit down to billy can metal mug and folding kuska and of course the wooden spoon.

Food wise I'm gonna really look at quantity I pack and possibly take a loaf of bread over bannock mix.
Brew kit whilst happy with it I shall pack less of it all rather than just doing my usual trick of decanting whole jars into brew bags.
Rely more on something like a boil in bag of rice and a little of other stuff to add flavour/alternative textures.

Lighting
I'm gonna go with a couple big tea lights and leave it at that.

Could be interesting

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am thinking long the same lines,

Def remove the bed roll and just do blankets,
Saty with my tarp... may be too small in the winter tho,
Axe/knife thing.. well I am thinking about my little chopper thing and leave the sheath knife at home..
DSC_0148.jpg
Cook kit made from Cans and leave the Ali Billy
wood Kuska

Food wise I am not far off, apart from may be more foraging, tea lights/candles , but leave teh lantern... Ive got some tallow now, may make a wooden bowl as I got some cotton wick as well.. :)

Rather then Rice try some pearl barley?..

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Na Tuna Tin has not been to the shops, lol.... prob when I go shoping on Tuesday night....

Once I done that ill try to work it and make a nice little pot from it with a handle, the look for a bigger one as well, so to make a nest...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE