Dandelion Root

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Continuing my theme of wild food from my back garden, last weekend's weeding exploits produced a lot of dandelion roots which have been sitting in water waiting for me to do some experimentation with them. None of this is new stuff - but it is new to me.

I had made some dandelion root coffee earlier in the year, and TBH, I didn't think it was worth the effort. I'd rather just make a tea or tisane - much quicker to prepare.

First thing was boiled dandelion roots - I boiled them for 10 minutes and I reckon it was too long - texture was not dissimilar to over cooked carrots. As expected, the taste was rather bitter, not not prohibitively so. If I was hungry, I'd eat them, and if they were mixed up in a stew or something similar, then they didn't seem to far away from parsnips.

Next thing I did was to bake them in the embers of a little fire. This time it was for only about 5 minutes - until they went a bit floppy - and this was much better. The slightly scorched outer skin seemed to mask some of the bitterness and this time they retained a bit of 'bite' in the texture. Some tasted bitter and some tasted sweeter (though sweeter is a relative term here!).

So in conclusion, I didn't really enjoy eating them, but could do so if the situation demanded it. They would be improved by masking with other food but, as with some of the other stuff I've tried, they did taste and feel like food.

Geoff

Not very exciting pictures, but I'd taken them so I may as well pop them up here.

Dirty roots, topped and tailed...
dandelion_root_01.jpg

and after scrubbing with a vegetable brush.
dandelion_root_02.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good report :) Tbh I've never tired just boiling them. You must be fair moving along with the weeding :D

I have to admit I like dandelion coffee, I like them roasted slowly until it almost tastes treacley.

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Fried until golden then covered in water and simmered until tender is my favourite - I think this is a Japanese recipe....

The roots are said to be good for your liver and blood.

As we get our garden turned in the spring the dandelions we let alone the season before have small carrot sized roots. We stir fry them. We eats bags of them.

Slice roots and a carrot into thin strips.
Stir fry in a bit of sesame oil. Add soy sauce and a dash of chili pepper to taste.

dandelions_stir_fried_350.jpg

We live in the bush in central B.C. and live with and by the land. We talk about how we live if your interested.

http://aki-and-scott-fireweed.blogspot.com/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE