Dandelion jelly

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
With dandelions beginning to flower I thought this recipe might be worth a try. Haven't done it myself yet as I'm laid up with a trapped nerve. But as soon as I'm able I will be trying this.
4 cups of petals. Green bits removed.
8 cups of water.
Bring to boil and let steep overnight.
Strain liquid with a sieve. If you want realy clear jelly strain again through a jelly bag, muslin or coffee filter.
Should make just under 8 cups of liquid. Top up with boiled water if necessary.
Add 1 cup of sugar for each cup of liquid. Jam sugar is recommended as it has the added pectin.
Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional)
Boil on rolling boil untill setting point is reached. (Test frequently ).
If you don't have jam sugar you will need to add some pectin as dandilons don't have any. The American recipe says add a box of sure gel, but I would just use jam sugar myself as I've no idea how much liquid pectin to use and I don't think we can get sure gel here in uk.
Pour into prepared jars and seal with lid.
Spring in a jar!

Last edited:
Reactions: Janne

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
An elderly friend said to me many years ago that if dandelions came in a wide variety of colours, we'd love them :) Instead it's yellow pee-the-bed all the time, and folk treat them as weeds.

Have to say I don't think that recipe gives much hope for something tasty beyond 'sweet' though :dunno:
Be interesting to hear from someone who gives it a go :)

Peggles on the other hand, peggles make lovely wine. Cowslips that is, just who would find and pick three bushels of them nowadays ?

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The bee people move their truck-loads of hives from one orchard to the next.
I suppose it's no different in the UK.
Seems the ground cover of dandelions is critical in some way for the survivorship/thriving vigour of each hive.

I use Pomona's Universal Pectin (a citrus product) for all jellies, it never fails at all.
I need all the help I can get.
Simmer my grape juice to see 2X strong and make jelly from that.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Peggles on the other hand, peggles make lovely wine. Cowslips that is, just who would find and pick three bushels of them nowadays ?

M

Me :)

Can’t pick them though.

E7-C24-D54-9-BF6-4-D19-AD71-346-E4907-E558.jpg

Reactions: Toddy and Nomad64

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D
Lovely to see, and to see them as they used to commonly grow too.
They were as widespread as the ramsons and bluebells.

Classic Spring :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE