Damson lack of

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
What a poor show!

Im not fond of the things, but my uncle loves them. so I went to the damson bushes...hardly anything.

He will have a pie, but it will be a very wee one...

Are the damsons round your way lousy too?

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
It's not been a good year for any of the prunus family round our way which is sad because I love stuff like mirabelles & also damson jam.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
I managed to pick 6-7lbs of decent damsons last weekend with Mrs. Bootstrap which she has now made into jam. If it's anything like the last lot that she made it will be good :)

There were quite a few sloes appearing too near where we picked the damsons but the Ridgeway is one of the best places I've come across for them near here.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I guess in the south west we are quite lucky, there were a health crop of damsons, sloes and bullaces this year, hazel/cob nuts too, until the council decided that the over hanging branches may present some risk of being sued (or causing an accident ) and they cut them back 5 feet. Leaving only the top of the bushes and the back shaded side where nothing much grows. They also did this two years ago leaving nothing for foragers and wildlife alike. All I can find is wild apples (wild as in domestic apples growing wild and tiny wild apricots. Any one with ideas as what I can do with them. (not jam I can’t eat jams)

Halfdevil333

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2006
On the Banks of Loch Lomond
Went looking to see what was about the other night........Nowt :(

Very little Sloes & Bullace not very happy about this.

Spoke to a guy in my work and he told me that the Sloes are in abundance at his shoot.So i think its dependant where you are i suppose..

The Search Continues....:D :D :D :D

Scott

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Imagine how a hunter gatherer would have been affected by something like this. To us, it is a mild inconvenience, but to them it would of been a matter of life and death. Last year was OK for fruit around here, but the nuts (hazel and sweet chestnut for instance) were almost non existant. This year isn't looking much better, I wonder if this explains the lack of grey squirrels this year?

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
I'd noticed a lack of bullace around here too (south Dorset). I normally gather from trees in three areas but there is nothing this year.

On Friday I was working on the cliffs at Kimmeridge and there was a real variation in the amount and size of sloes - many bushes were empty but a few had loads of quite large sloes. Another weird year!

Bob:)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
no problems with damsons here, have also found some huge blackberries, the biggest i've personally ever seen, they have a diameter of about 3cm, if you imagine the centre hole in a normal roll of insulation tape well the berries are slightly larger than this.

Jim_aramis

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
East Cheshire
No Sloe's around my patch even in the sheltered spots. :(

I was going to double my quantity of Sloe Gin this year too but I might not have any.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
a late frost around here put a damprer on things , if you want free fruit try doing a 'wanted' on yer local freecycle group , i did and got 40lb of plums and damsons and 30lb of pears!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Theres a tree up the road got loads, but its in a garden and the fruit are out of reach anyway.

Still, plenty of blackberries and crab apples...

you can make blackberry gin.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, I did get a few more, but they are not the best.

I filled a 3lb kilner jar, so Ill see how that does. (He will have to think what to do with them himself.)

I was thinking of doing a bit of guerilla gardening, by spreading a few damsons up at the edge of the woods near me - there's elderberries and blackberries there already. The only thing is, I don't know if I'd be upsetting any other species if I do this.

Is it a good idea or not?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE