Damp weather fire woes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Hi everyone, for the last couple of days I've been out to my local woods with the intention of getting some practice at getting a fire going with just my cutting tools, fire steel and what ever I could find there.

I took along some nice dry Pine and Birch chips so I could brew up if I failed.

I've been having trouble finding material to use as tinder. I tried splitting a Pine knot and using shavings from the inside of it but they seemed to be a bit damp. It was very dark red and smelt very resinous. I thought the thing about Pine knots was that the resin kept out any water and hence stopped them rotting away.
The tree I took them from has been dead for years. Could the damp have been water contained in the sap?

I eventually used the tiny flaky bits from the bottom of the bag of dry Birch bark I'd brought from home and managed to get a flame.
Today I tried some Birch bark shavings too, taken from a pretty damp old rotten fallen Birch log, but to no avail.
I hear people on YouTube say that you can still use Birch bark when it's wet but in my experience it's much better dry.

Any tips or info would be welcome.

TIA.

R3XXY :)

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
Like everything else it's a matter of practice. For example it's very possible to ignite green wood with a ferro rod though not preferred by a long shot. My favorite rainy weather ferro rod tinder is Yellow birch bark.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Great to hear that you're willing to invest some time into practising this skill. Try to find someone who is able to light fires in rainy conditions, you'll learn a lot in just one hour/trip.

In the end it's all about the details. Fraying a bit of the damp bark will make it easier for a spark to catch etcetera. (I try to show it in this vid)
[video=youtube_share;KsQh-Ir9_9g]http://youtu.be/KsQh-Ir9_9g?list=UUMQewx7Ry609esblJ N1oy9g[/video]

Try to hone your carvingskills for making feathersticks also, makes life much easier.

Have fun!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Being able to produce a flame is an important part of natural fire-lighting, but its not the only skill you need.

On your way into the woods, collect a good handful of birch twigs, hanging dead hazel, and some hollow dead weed stems - they might feel damp, even wet, but given an hour or so in a pocket, your body warmth will have a drying effect that can make a big difference.

Ruud's feather-stick suggestion is a good one, a stick or log that feels damp on the outside can be quite dry inside - if you can split it and then feather a few of the resulting sticks, you'll have a good source of tinder.

Lastly, you could be right in the resinous pine being water contaminated, but it is a great firemaking resource to find, prepare and carry - if you find it in good condition.

Good luck with your up-skilling.

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE