Dachstein Wool Sweaters-still made in Austria?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
I checked through the threads and there was a post on Dachstein wool garments. Unfotunately most of the links posted are no longer in existence.

Are the Dachstein wool sweaters still made in Austria and is there a company or source that makes these garments? Are there any Dachstein items that are worth watching out for like mittens?

I have a friend who may be travelling over there later this year and I was wondering if there are any wool items that would be a good buy.

Monk

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
I checked through the threads and there was a post on Dachstein wool garments. Unfotunately most of the links posted are no longer in existence.

Are the Dachstein wool sweaters still made in Austria and is there a company or source that makes these garments? Are there any Dachstein items that are worth watching out for like mittens?

I have a friend who may be travelling over there later this year and I was wondering if there are any wool items that would be a good buy.

Monk

Just bought some Dachstein mittens in the uk for 23 quid.great item but not cheap.(my wife dismissed them a loking like a pair of knitted wooly mittts that have been shrunk in the wash) which is what they are essentially but very effective. i dont know if you would get much better deal in ?Austria as it tends to be expensive and the euro conversion rate is naff

Never actually heard of Dachstein sweaters, only mitts, hats, socks balaclavas etc. Would be a really warm item though.
As a cheap alternative maybe you could buy a huge sized normal jumper and give it a really hot wash to shrink it down. That's basically what Dachstein is I think.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
The mitts are good but the gloves are better IMO, although not as warm. You can get both in the UK but the gloves can be quite hard to find as like the mitts they are pure function not fashion.
They are made Huber and Ortovox, if you can get them over there cheaper I would get a couple of pairs.
I actually think £25 is good value, a pair of synthetic gloves offering the same performance would probably cost you three times the amount. Lots of mountaineers and x-country skiers still swear by Dackers.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
The mitts are good but the gloves are better IMO, although not as warm. You can get both in the UK but the gloves can be quite hard to find as like the mitts they are pure function not fashion.
They are made Huber and Ortovox, if you can get them over there cheaper I would get a couple of pairs.
I actually think £25 is good value, a pair of synthetic gloves offering the same performance would probably cost you three times the amount. Lots of mountaineers and x-country skiers still swear by Dackers.

Wore a pair of the mitts in Switzerland a couple of weeks ago while snowshoeing and x-country skiing; they were magic.
I had a pair of down mitts and waterproof mitts in my sac and there they stayed.

Toddy had a first rate thread on using over sized woollen garments to produce dachstein type garments at home recently, well worth a look.:)

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Myself, I wear a pullover like this made by an austrian company and sold under the label "Carat". I will try and find a link and also post a pic tomorrow.

With the help of google I found this, yeuch!:
http://www.dachsteinoutdoorgear.com/en/gear/gear-facts/

the fabric itself, "Schladminger Loden" is still being made:
http://www.lodenwalker.at/cms/index.php?id=1&L=2
http://www.loden-steiner.at/v_stein...id/16/language/en/showcat/1/schladminger.html

There is, however, a company in germany producing garmets form "gewalkter" (shrunk/felted) Wolle:
http://mufflon.com/
Unfortunately, the site is not in english.
They have two different fabrics, W300 and W100.
The former weighs in at 720g/m², the latter at 400gr/m²
http://mufflon.com/de/produkte.html
The catalogue:
http://mufflon.com/images/stories/pdf/katalog_2009_2010.pdf
We had them in our shop some years ago. Fantastic quality, definitly worth the money, but unfortunately customers preferred fleeece.

This shop in Luxemburg does mailorder within the EU, postage-free above € 200,- (which is more or less the price of one jacket) and has good information on sizing, too (click "Groeßentabelle" on the left):
http://www.mufflon.lu/index.php?page=index

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
can i ask a silly question, i know nothing about this product type, is the final product really as someone has mentioned like shrunk wool? if so, what is the benefit of this type of garment? is it tougher? does it loese or gain insulation properties? does it make it windproof to a degree having the wool tighten up? sooo many questions!

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
can i ask a silly question, i know nothing about this product type, is the final product really as someone has mentioned like shrunk wool? if so, what is the benefit of this type of garment? is it tougher? does it loese or gain insulation properties? does it make it windproof to a degree having the wool tighten up? sooo many questions!

Tougher, warmer, more wind resistant and water-repellent

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Really comes into it's own in snow; the snow freezes on the outsides of the wool and forms a barrier. Wool also has the benefit of keeping you warm even when it's wet.:)

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

BorderReiver, thanks for Toddy's thread on DIY Dachstein.

I have been trying this out with the American Army green wool glove liners...get a size 4? or 5 for HUGE hands then wash on warm in the washer and hang on a hanger with a clothespeg to completely dry. 2 or 3 washings the gloves do shrink-warm wash in the washer with wool wash liquid then hang up to dry. By the third washing over a period of time I noted the glove had become smaller and a better fit on my hands. Also the wool/nylon mixture had shrank and become thicker-the gloves are more warmer. At this stage to avoid further shrinkage I wash by hand in the sink on cold ...barely warm water and hang to dry to avoid further shrinking. You do not want them to keep shrinking!

If you try this out fit the gloves on after the first washing-hand size and to check just how much shrinkage. Usually I put the gloves in a mesh garment bag-the kind you put a sweater in- to avoid too much bashing around in the washing machine.

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
Hi Monk!

sorry - I haven´t recognized that this thread is open (I´m checking out the whole forum because I´m new here).........

You have a PM.......
Hope this helped

greetings from Austria
Mike

May 16, 2015
United States

Monk

I found that www.sweaterchalet.com is stocking all manner of Dachstein woolens in all sizes and colors. Here is from their Dachstein page

Dachstein Woolwear is a private label brand of a well known Austrian maker of 100% organic wool products, including sweaters, mittens, gloves, slippers, caps, and more.

Dachstein Woolwear is "made from boiled wool in a weave so dense they're almost waterproof" and have been used by mountaineers for their incredible warmth even when they're covered with snow and ice. Extreme cold weather gear famous for decades in the Alps is now available to you.

The Company is based in Styria, Austria and their Motto is: "From Nature with Nature." The products are processed with hot water only and they are proud their business premises and process machinery are heated by a pollution free and long lasting biomass heating system supplied by local forests.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
@rvogt1 good oh I was looking for one of these this winter and I like to plan for the next one. I hadn't heard of sweater chalet and the kit is nice. Good thread necromancy too :) Welcome to the forum.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE