d. w. spoon

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Desert willow spoon I finished up this week.

P1360550-001.JPG

P1360565-001.JPG

P1360555-001.JPG

P1360569-001.JPG

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I never get tired of seeing your work, now going to look up desert willow and learn something new as a result. Thanks.
Rob.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Lovely spoon! I have just looked up desert willow, and found that it is not a willow as I know it (salix), but called willow because the leaves are willow like. What does it carve like? Is it hard or soft? Salix over here is really soft, marks easily and is prone to fibres tearing out unless extremely sharp tools are used.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Thanks, mates. You guys are much more savvy than I am. My experience with the wood is that it's harder than sycamore but softer than mesquite or oak or maple. It is very "fibrous," but to me that means the stuff doesn't split easily. It holds together something like elm maybe. I don't like the fact that it marks easily while working on it. I had to go over the whole thing again at the end with clean hands, carefully carving away the smudge marks. Once it's been oiled, it's not as much a concern. The pieces I have lying around that have been exposed to the air have turned really red. Not sure if the spoon will do that too. Generally speaking, I feel it's a good spoon wood.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Lovely spoon! I have just looked up desert willow, and found that it is not a willow as I know it (salix), but called willow because the leaves are willow like. What does it carve like? Is it hard or soft? Salix over here is really soft, marks easily and is prone to fibres tearing out unless extremely sharp tools are used.

So I am not the only one who has to research the wood used in posts. :cool:
One source notes it makes good bows and judging by the grain in the second photo (being a carpenter & joiner) I would hazard a guess that it is much like Ash in workability green or dry with similar traits of flexibility.

Rob.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
One source notes it makes good bows and judging by the grain in the second photo (being a carpenter & joiner) I would hazard a guess that it is much like Ash in workability green or dry with similar traits of flexibility.

Sounds right, Rob. I'm going to start looking for a possible stave... I have a couple of pieces of ash waiting. I'll have to try it for comparison.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
It is very "fibrous," but to me that means the stuff doesn't split easily. It holds together something like elm maybe. I don't like the fact that it marks easily while working on it. I had to go over the whole thing again at the end with clean hands, carefully carving away the smudge marks.

Just like our willow then lol.

Nice spoon. I got to try the knife "compass points" some day soon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE