D-type bowie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Been on the back burner for some time, and needed finishing, its based on the old army D-type, I think wilkinson swords had a bowie in production at the time and I think the D-type came from that.

Reactions: Billy-o
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Now that sir is a thing of beauty what’s the spec on blade length, width etc...?
I can’t zoom in enough in the pic but are the spent casings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Now that sir is a thing of beauty what’s the spec on blade length, width etc...?
I can’t zoom in enough in the pic but are the spent casings?

Yer sorry should of put dimension up! handle about 5 inch (tapered tang) blade 7 inch by 2 inch and 7mm thick at guard, convex grind with distal taper, think hand axe with some ability as a knife :D and yes the threaded nuts are 303 case's seemed kind of fitting!

Reactions: Hammock Hamster
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I really like that, my only criticism is ... it’s not big enough!
I’ve been looking at Bowie’s a lot recently and love this shape but would like to see a longer version (maybe 14 inch) but following the same shape!

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I really like that, my only criticism is ... it’s not big enough!
I’ve been looking at Bowie’s a lot recently and love this shape but would like to see a longer version (maybe 14 inch) but following the same shape!

I have made them with 12 inch blades not in this style mind, the idea with this is to just compact the mass and weight make it a bit more handy but got to say a big bowie dose make a fine camp knife as long as the guard is not made up as a fighting knife.

Reactions: Robson Valley
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I have made them with 12 inch blades not in this style mind, the idea with this is to just compact the mass and weight make it a bit more handy but got to say a big bowie dose make a fine camp knife as long as the guard is not made up as a fighting knife.

I know what you mean, I’m doing a bit of trial with a repro early 1900’s style Bowie to see how it will perform in the field as a multi purpose knife, chopper, camp blade etc... and the guard is a bit of a pain!

d07c79bedcae13089d7708f4ec66172e.jpg

Also had to completely reprofile the edge geometry and all I had to do it was my Lansky, to say it was a painfully tedious experience would be an understatement!!!

653d76777601aaf70c7dd5c1c76f68be.jpg

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I know what you mean, I’m doing a bit of trial with a repro early 1900’s style Bowie to see how it will perform in the field as a multi purpose knife, chopper, camp blade etc... and the guard is a bit of a pain!

d07c79bedcae13089d7708f4ec66172e.jpg

Also had to completely reprofile the edge geometry and all I had to do it was my Lansky, to say it was a painfully tedious experience would be an understatement!!!

653d76777601aaf70c7dd5c1c76f68be.jpg

Could you not find some thing bigger?:p looks like it should make a good heavy camp knife, but guard dose look to be a bit more than you want, how thick is the blade? truly a beast! how you finding it?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Could you not find some thing bigger?:p looks like it should make a good heavy camp knife, but guard dose look to be a bit more than you want, how thick is the blade? truly a beast! how you finding it?

I’ll be honest better than I was expecting once I sorted the edge out.
It’s shaving feathersticks no problem and no worries for chopping or battening.
The size is an issue for any kind of carving work and it makes sense that over time people have gravitated towards mora sized knives.

It’s 6mm at the spine so you could say it has some heft to it.
I was watching Alec Steele on YouTube the other day and he forged a Bowie with integral guard that looked superb, I suppose I can dream!

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Glade your getting on with it, I tend to make really thick stuff (4-8mm) and as long as its thin in the right places they cut just fine, I'm not really one for carving I'll make the odd peg but mostly like many I split duty's between a heavy and a light blade, had a go at some food prep with it yet?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
it makes sense that over time people have gravitated towards mora sized knives.

You will find that knives have been ‘Mora size’ for a couple of millenia, Even slightly shorter than that in Paleo times.

It seems the average length historically is around 4-5 inches.

Bowie was a fighting knife. First half of 1800’. The iconic WW2 era KaBar is a version.

I tried once to only have a KaBar during a week long forest trip with fishing.
I struggled.
Cutting soft white bread - interesting!
Ok to use to chop thin and medium twigs though.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The family supposes that Bezin Bowie had a blacksmith make that knife in the style of an "Arkansas Toothpick."
The knife was given to brother Jim Bowie. He lost his life in the Battle of the Alamo, Feb.23 - March 06, 1836.
Very interesting articles in Wikipedia regarding Texas history.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

That’s a cracker!

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
An impressive artefact.

However, I'm reminded of an American outdoorsman 's view that the Bowie knife was fine for stabbing thick chested men and small bears but in the woods you'll be wishing you had an axe or a razor blade.
But a big bowie is not much different to using a "billy" or perang and there good woodland tools.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The Bowie family claims that Rezin(?) Bowie had the first one made by a blacksmith in the form of an Arkansas "toothpick."
He gave the knife to brother Jim Bowie who lost his life in the Battle of the Alamo, TX, Feb.23 - Mar.06, 1836.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
The Bowie family claims that Rezin(?) Bowie had the first one made by a blacksmith in the form of an Arkansas "toothpick."
He gave the knife to brother Jim Bowie who lost his life in the Battle of the Alamo, TX, Feb.23 - Mar.06, 1836.
Right so the toothpick was a FS style dagger and the clip point was some thing coming out of Sheffield at that time? am I right in thinking a lot of the classic style or early bowies are UK exports?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Battle of Alamo Mission, Mexican Texas.
Texas belonged to the Mexican republics (and Spain before that, since 1500’)

Morakniv/Frosts make a blade like that, used by many pro fishermen.
Superb to fillet large fish with.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE