Czech army bedrolls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Gonna buy 2 I think and try and modify them into one .. Must be able to get 1 made that's warm enough for winter

You can (or could) buy spare blankets for them on ebay at one time. I think they were £9.99 delivered. Like I mentioned previously a cheap 2 season bag that you probably already have tucked away is the best add on to one of these set ups.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
The blanket just buttons in so having two blankets in the one roll should beef it up a bit. But the size and weight too. I just put a regular wool blanket in mine as I had it. Also in mine the cotton liner is loose and in the night I move too much and it just gets pushed down. The older ones I belive buttoned in which was better.
For £10 it's worth trying one :)

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
You can (or could) buy spare blankets for them on ebay at one time. I think they were £9.99 delivered. Like I mentioned previously a cheap 2 season bag that you probably already have tucked away is the best add on to one of these set ups.

Seconded... The bedrolls are bulky, but with a cheap Tesco £12 sleeping bag (actually one of my favourite bits of gear. EVER. I'm being serious, don't laugh!) they are very warm for the price! Also make a comfy carpet when unzipped all the way to fit inside a polish lavvu tent.. (The girlfriend wasn't impressed when I set it up and she asked where the groundsheet was! Bedroll saved the day!)

ATB

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
Recently bought one of these and used on a overnighter and although i was fairly warm i had 2 issues:

1. i thought that it was quite small considering how bulky it is (i'm only 5,7)
2. My neck was freezing all night and i couldn't seem to adjust it at all ???

saying all that for £12 you cant go far wrong!

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Old hat now...but in case anyone comes in and gets a bit lost.....

1/Unbelievably cheap and adaptable
2/ 2 season bag (its a -synthetic, not wool! - blanket and linen sheet after all) in damp proof bivvy
3/ easy to buy another button in blanket (£5) Still rolls into own hood, but even bulkier, naturally.
4/ Bulky, compression straps are for tying on outside, to a pack, if you want to carry.
5/Versatile
6/Easy to mend/wash (just unbutton the liner/blanket!)
7/ 6' 4" 100kg...plenty roomy enough

Use mine in summer, really great. Second one as spare bedding on a boat.
Excellent value, I reckon

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Am wondering how the nylon outer cover of the Czech sleep system compares to that of a British Army gortex bivvy bag?
Wriggling into the old surplus gortex bag that I have is faf & a half so the Czech option with a zip for easy access has considerable appeal but if used with a regular synthetic sleeping bag instead of the wool blanket is there a problem with condensation?

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I have one i bought in York some time back, very happy with it, I used a summer sleeping bag with it for a while but now use a snugpack blanket if required.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Am wondering how the nylon outer cover of the Czech sleep system compares to that of a British Army gortex bivvy bag?
Wriggling into the old surplus gortex bag that I have is faf & a half so the Czech option with a zip for easy access has considerable appeal but if used with a regular synthetic sleeping bag instead of the wool blanket is there a problem with condensation?

Nope, the czech outer is some kind of nylon fabric, its not really waterproof just water resistant. The issue bivvy is goretex so waterproof/breathable. I haven't had any problems with condensation in the czech bag before but they can feel damp after a few uses as the liner tends to hold moisture.

Tonyuk

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
....as Tonyuk says, nylon, bottom half coated to be more water resistant. GoreTex is breathable and waterproof.

Never, in summer usage, noticed any dampness though, on the inside of my Czech bedroll "bivvy"......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE