Czech army bedrolls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sam-northwest

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2013
wigan
I'm looking at ditching my sleeping bag for the summer and buying a Czech at bed roll .. For the money they seem a really good but

Was just wondering whether anyone has had one and would recommend them

And I just want a bit of info on them in general

Thanks

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
There are loads of people with them on here mate, iv got one but not used it. If you search Czech army bedrolls in the search field on here you will get shed loads of hits pal!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sam-northwest

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2013
wigan
Cheers for the quick replies .. Doesn't really matter about them being bulky as the majority of the trips Iv gt in mind this year are gonna be long drives more than short walks :)

ATB

Sam

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Love mine, as others have said not particularly lightweight but as with most of these things it's easy enough and cheap enough to modify then for your needs. I bought 2 so that I'd have the additional blanket for when it's cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I think about half the blokes on this forum have them. They really are for car camping only as you would not want to lug one of the beasts around with you. Kilo for kilo they are possibly the worst method possible for keeping yourself warm. They do have a lot of old school appeal though and my boy likes to use ours but he does use a summer bag inside it as it is not an overly warm set up. If you like traditional stuff especially if you fancy sleeping under a tarp on the ground then they have a place in your camping kit collection. They are a million miles away from an all rounder set up though.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Don't ditch the sleeping bag before you buy and try the bedroll............I love mine, but I love my bags as well.............:)

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have bought one off another forum, if it ever arrives.
I like the style but now heard that they arnt for the larger folk among us.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
Depends how large you're talking... I'm no skinny lad and there's plenty of space in mine.

Like they've said, great bit of kit for the price but very bulky. I've added a foam mat to mine, makes it even bulkier but means it's all together ready to go!

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
50"chest and broad shoulders.

Instead of trying to mod two into one just put a summer weight sleeping bag inside and should make a big difference.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire

Instead of trying to mod two into one just put a summer weight sleeping bag inside and should make a big difference.

Just a bit bigger than me then. I've just measured the width of mine rolled up and it's about 27" across if that helps.

That's what I do when it's colder, put my summer weight bag inside. Works for me.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
At that size it should be ok.

You could swap and change your season of bag to favor the conditions.
Saying that you could just use a bivvy bag to the same effect.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales

British army jungle bag and a merino wool blanket from a charity shop makes mine good to about -5 C, probably a bit colder with proper sleepwear.

(the merino blanket replaces the one that came with it)

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
I've got one and reckon its the equivalent of a two-season bag in terms of warmth, and needs modding/supplementing if you are planning a camp when it's a bit chilly. Pay particular note to ground insulation as I think it doesn't fair to well in that area. Most people use a foam mat in addition to their primary matress, and some also add a foil sheet blanket. I used a IKEA matress topper quilt on top and a self-inflating mattress tucked between the wool mix blanket and the outer, but found this then made space inside the bag quite constricted. Next time I'll use a thin foam mat as the bottom layer with the self-inflater on the outside. I may also invest in a wool blanket to use an additional upper layer.

These things are bulky. The 'compression' straps mean that you can fold them into a fat squarish shape which could conceivably fit inside a large pack but it wouldn't leave much room for anything else and most people just roll them up and carry them separately. I suppose they could be lashed to a pack but it could make the load quite unwieldy.

Incidently, don't bother buying the separate carry bag available for these. It's just a large drawstring bag with a simple carry handle. I think it actually makes the roll more difficult to lug about as it prevents access to the compression straps which can be used as a handle or a carry strap. I guess the bag is useful for storage or as additional rain protection but it's not a great piece of kit.

The roll I'd heavy and bulky certainly, but factor in price an it starts to make sense. Unless you can afford to buy a high-tech ultralite bag then I think it starts to compare reasonably well against the competition. I was in Cotswold Outdoor yesterday looking at Van go bags in the sub-£75 bracket but walked on because I felt that although they were a lighter , they weren't hugely less bulky and the small benefit didn't give much over the bedroll. Plus, the bedroll seems a little more flexible in terms of its expandability/mod ability, it looks good, and its very cheap. So despite it's drawbacks I think it's a good bit of kit.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I have two and love them.
One for car camping, one permanently in my woodland spot.
In colder temps i wear softies and its plenty warm enough.
For a tenner, superb value.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE