customs, import type

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Any help would be appreciated, if I were to get a knife imported from america, what pitfalls and issues should I be aware of? Anyone got any advice?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
It depends on the knife to be honest.
If it's a fixed blade you should be ok, barring the chance of getting hit for customs charges.
Folding knife, you're on shaky ground.
HMRC have a very broad interpretation of "Gravity Knife" (a banned item) and will seize many knives that are not of that type if they can flick it open with a snap of the wrist.

It's a risk.
If it's a folder, and you can find it in the UK, you might be better off paying the extra.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Ah, its fixed blade. A bowie type, just shopping around and seeing what the difficulties are with importing. Are customs charges a lot?

They can be, it'll be a percentage of the objects value. You may also be hit for admin costs by the carrier, Parcelforce were adding about £8 a few years back.

I have had a couple of Ritter RSK folders sent over in the past and charges and costs can be quite a lot.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Thanks for the advice, have decided to buy from heinnie haynes, the knife is a good price and no more expensive than if I get whalloped with any taxes or fee's. They have a good rep also. Just takes the risk out of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE