Custom made hiking boots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Omega

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2004
UK
My feet are Extra Extra Wide (width H), so it is very hard finding properly fitting boots.
Any recommendations where I could order hiking waterproof boots that will fit my width? They will need to be properly waterproof as I want to use them for hunting
So far was thinking about Altberg Hogg All Weather Microlite https://www.altberg.co.uk/boots/motorcycle-boots/hogg-all-weather-microlite1. However, it might be not wide enough, and they won't accept returns if it does not fit me
Looked at Mendl, Merrell,Scarpa, even at more expensive Le Chameu, Crispi and some other £350+ boots, but they don't made for my feet's width
Do not want to go 1-2 sizes larger, as I do with waterproof trainers - I have Salomon for about 15 years and they are great, but I am suspicious about boots because I often found them to be uncomfortable, and I had Berghaus, Caterpillar (when I worked on construction site) and Dr. Martens (they fitted well, but too heavy for hunting)
Also thinking buying something like Hunter Wellington boots, but not sure how well they support ankles if I step an uneven surface
Thank you

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
If you can get to their factory (pre book) Altberg can measure your foot, let you try on the various widths of the style you like, or even customise and build the boots for you. I have a pair of tabbing boots on order being built on the G-fit last with lacing hooks. Another option may be Vivobarefoot boots, the toe box is quite wide and they accept returns.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Altberg but you'd be better off with a proper walking / country boot than a motorcycle boot.

I use the Raby boots for walking and on shoots. Before that I used the orginal Field and Fell...only replaced them as worm out - 15 years and 2 worn soles later

Reactions: Omega

Omega

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2004
UK
If you can get to their factory (pre book) Altberg can measure your foot, let you try on the various widths of the style you like, or even customise and build the boots for you. I have a pair of tabbing boots on order being built on the G-fit last with lacing hooks. Another option may be Vivobarefoot boots, the toe box is quite wide and they accept returns.
I got to their retailers and they, based on my feet measurements and using another Altberg boot, recommended Altberg Hogg All Weather Microlite. However, this was their best guess, it does not mean it is guaranteed to fit perfectly, unfortunately, as my feet are slightly different in size (though most people do too)

Last edited:

Omega

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2004
UK
Altberg but you'd be better off with a proper walking / country boot than a motorcycle boot.

I use the Raby boots for walking and on shoots. Before that I used the orginal Field and Fell...only replaced them as worm out - 15 years and 2 worn soles later
Altberg told me that Fremington is their widest last, they make only Hogg All Weather Microlite and some other ankle height boot using this last.
Glad to hear that Altberg can last really long time - it looks like the best option so far

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had Altberg custom make some boots for my wife - they lasted her about 30 years ...
Great boots but a no longer produced hiking boot model...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE