Custom boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have had a bit of cash for presents and was thinking about something I have considered a long time; cobbler made boots

Any suggestions?

Any experiences?

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
WILLIAM LENNON!!!!!!!
My idea of a proper boot (excepting extreme snow) or Wellies)
Is leather and a proper rebuildable sole.
I despise all this glued, black tactical video game junk.
In the USA WHITES are legendary,
They are also unbelievably expensive.
I discovered Lennon, read some reviews, and by blind luck met a local expat with a pair in 12.
Translated to US it’s my ridiculously wide 11 1/2”
He let me slip one on. KISMET.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
They ‘lack’ some modern refinements like an ankle collar found on many hiking boots.
I figure if they worked for generations I can survive without one more feature to rip out, or fail before the rest of the boot.
I have several pair of leather dress shoes, riding boots and moose hide and canvas muckluks.
I handled the owners Lennon’s and
Said YES. AND your keeping a bit of history and staff going.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
When you say "A bit of cash" ...what are we talking about, a grand ?
When you say "custom", do you mean made from scratch to fit your particular feet or off the shelf high end boots ?
And when you say boots, do you mean; cowboy boots, riding boots, military style boots, hiking boots, LARP reproduction type boots ?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
No I do not! Where di you get that idea from?

I was thinking of something generic outdoors, not walking to far in, I am very lazy, but tough enough to muck around.

About £300?

Reactions: Erbswurst

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There's a guy in Settle, Nelson I think is his name, he's the last of many generations of cobblers and shoemakers. His family once had shops through a lot of towns and villages around settle with other cobblers working for them. That's back when most shoes and boots were custom made.

If he's still operating he measures and examines your feet then hand carves a last just, for you. Once that's made he uses it to make the footwear you want. Years later if you want something different you can call it in and he'll dig out your last and make them. Every shoe or boot will fit your foot perfectly.

If he's retired then Mark Slee operates in Settle and he's also a time served cobbler shoemaker. He apprenticed with the older guy I mentioned above and uses similar production methods I believe.

A good, timeserved cobbler shoemaker is amazing imho but I don't think they're very common. Repair cobblers are more common but they've not got the skills of a true shoemaker because they cannot make the custom lasts.

Reactions: Erbswurst and Toddy

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
There's a guy in Settle, Nelson I think is his name, he's the last of many generations of cobblers and shoemakers. His family once had shops through a lot of towns and villages around settle with other cobblers working for them. That's back when most shoes and boots were custom made.

If he's still operating he measures and examines your feet then hand carves a last just, for you. Once that's made he uses it to make the footwear you want. Years later if you want something different you can call it in and he'll dig out your last and make them. Every shoe or boot will fit your foot perfectly.

If he's retired then Mark Slee operates in Settle and he's also a time served cobbler shoemaker. He apprenticed with the older guy I mentioned above and uses similar production methods I believe.

A good, timeserved cobbler shoemaker is amazing imho but I don't think they're very common. Repair cobblers are more common but they've not got the skills of a true shoemaker because they cannot make the custom lasts.
I have had a bit of cash for presents and was thinking about something I have considered a long time; cobbler made boots

Any suggestions?

Any experiences?
Now you’ve done it. A ‘ cowboy’ and there are FOUR regional terms
Just calls them BOOTS. This is like Americans referring to ‘English riding boots.’
A WESTERN riding boot has a VERY High heel to A. Keep the foot from slipping into a stirrup since we do not ‘toe ride’ and post. B. This holds you steady from the shock of the horse bracing against a piece of beef being roped ( a lasso is a Mexican snare for Conejos aka rabbits) C. When dismounted the high heels can dig in like an anchor. There is a laced hybrid riding/ hiking boot called a PACKER used by mule skinners.
Now, some German football hooligan who likes to go line dancing to country western music ( produced in a city east of the Mississippi) may wear ‘white cowboy boots.’ I trust you lot don’t.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
They nowadays can also use adjustable lasts, what's a cheaper method with also good results, especially if we talk about rough stuff and thick socks anyway.

My boots were made like this by Geiger in Frittlingen and they are very good and fit perfectly. The price was a couple of years ago approximately 320 €.

The feet can change by the way. That's why they check the measurements after 10 years before they make new shoes for you.

Last edited:

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
There’s a shop in Downtown Los Angeles that also make individual lasts and custom work. They are fifth generation Californios Now known as Chicanos. I have a pair of
Shoes going on Thirty years of service. Whoever you select; it’s worth every penny! He managed a few hides from some recovered Russian leathers submerged in cold waters for decades. They were Waaaaaay beyond my means. But I saw a pair made for an actor from Hollywood’s ‘Golden Age’ still working. I could only stare in wonder!

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Well, my hundred years old Swiss, Swedish and German rucksacks also look like new. Good leather is pretty durable if well maintained.

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
There are a few traditional boot makers in the uk
Such as

New web address

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
If you are very lazy and don’t wish to walk far then these should do the job. You don’t even have to lace them or spend time cleaning and waxing them. Way under budget too.

34166098-DB3C-49C7-8ACA-6B6CD47120C9.png

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE